All reviews beautiful grounds mongolian grill grand bend outdoor ceremony schnitzel bride and groom german cuisine basic room beautiful venue private beach coach house family wedding last weekend glass of wine lovely beach guest rooms stayed nights
Reviewed 13 July 2018

From the moment you enter this hotel, the smell of cooking hits you, and not in a good way, front desk clerk tried to pressure us into buying their $24 dollar breakfast, might have, but the smell. Room was small, windowseals broken so you can't see outside. Opened one to get rid of the damp and musty smell, and it fell on my head. Management said the windows are European,WHAT? Very noisy, can hear every door and voice in the hotel. We left early the next day, and someone decided to have a party in our room, apparently, as the hotel charged us 250.00 for smoking, we don't smoke, and the manager lied about all the garbage we found in the room. Old, tired, and smelly, and the worst beach access ever... what a scam....

Room tip: Avoid if you can
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Elizabeth I, Owner at Hessenland Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review us...there are several points I will be indicating here prior to posting the email we have sent you in regards to your room. Firstly, as far as the smell of cooking goes, it is often something that our guests comment about and enjoy as we pride ourselves in preparing food with local ingredients grown by our local farmers, however our apologies if this did not agree with your senses. Secondly, the breakfast package we offer is $12 per person which includes a hot al a carte made to order breakfast served with freshly brewed local coffee or tea and orange juice.

Thirdly, please also note we have cameras in the hallway and we confirm via the camera/video footage there was no one that entered your room after your departure except for our senior staff on duty and Frank (owner) to assess the smoking smell that took place in your room.
Now onto the email correspondence that was sent to you in regards to the $250 charge due to the smoking in your room:
The senior manager on duty and 2 staff members went into the room your occupied and smelled a strong smoke odor, hence the reason you were charged the $250. We had to wash the entire curtains, liners, and bedding down to the mattress box cover and mattress. We stand behind providing a very clean and comfortable environment and therefore upon your departure we had to do above and beyond our normal cleaning procedures to ensure the room you occupied was odor free and ready for the next guests.
Please know this is the first time we had to charge a $250 cleaning fee in years and therefore when our staff comes to us about the strong smoke odor we all take it seriously.
Lastly, after receiving many emails from you I sent you this last one: "please note we have completed our email correspondence, you are not allowed to come and question anyone here at our Inn, it is their privacy we are now protecting"

Once again we stand behind all of what was verified by our staff regarding the smoke odor that was in your room upon your departure hence the reason for the $250 cleaning charge.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

I have never personally stayed there but know of people who have. We have a cottage in the area. Grounds are always well manicured. Cannot comment on the status of the rooms or amenities. I have tried to book there in the past but they were sold out.

Date of stay: August 2017
Elizabeth I, Owner at Hessenland Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Thank you for your review, we hope to welcome you to our inn in the near future.
Liz ihrig

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

What an amazing venue for any retreat. Love the food love the service love the location. Everyone at the end was extremely attentive. Quality of food at this venue was excellent. And the amenities including the Wi-Fi or perfect for any retreat.

Location between Grand Bend and other neighboring areas of Interest.

We were able to cycle run and take tours from the hotel.

The wine selection was excellent and so are all the dinners.

I love the Farm to Table menu with most items coming from under a hundred kilometers of the inn.

I highly recommend this place for personal and business trips alike. Looking forward to coming back sometime soon.

Thank you for the amazing retreat.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
Elizabeth I, Owner at Hessenland Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Thank you for your review and lovely comments! We look forward to welcoming you back Erez!!!
Liz and Frank

Reviewed 6 June 2018

We were out in the Grand Bend area for a group work retreat, and I have to bring my wife back! - This is a stunning property and Frank & Liz are wonderful hosts. The vineyard is a wonderful back drop for enjoying a glass of wine and local fare.

We stayed 2 nights and booked a chefs dinner for our group - Frank was amazing! The food and wine pairings were better then anything we have experienced in Toronto.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Thank you for your lovely review!!! Looking forward to having you and your wife back!!
Liz and Frank!

Reviewed 15 April 2018

My hubby and I were married at Hessenland back in June 2016 and reflecting back we could not be happier. Liz was an organizational marvel and never made me feel like I had a stupid question. She thought of every aspect of the wedding and we didn't have to do a thing with set-up or take down. The grounds are breathtaking with many choices for an outdoor ceremony and the hall is just that right mix of country for people looking for that rustic wedding.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review Kaylyn!!!! It was a pleasure working with you!!
Liz