“Wonderful Memorial”

Ranked #1 of 128 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: As you walk the decks of the NORTH CAROLINA, imagine yourself in the South Pacific during WWII searching the sky for enemy aircraft, anticipating what may happen next. Step aboard the most decorated US Battleship of WWII! Explore nine decks, crew's quarters, gun turrets, and much more. Discover where history comes alive. Located at the junctions of highways 17, 76, 74, 421 on the Cape Fear River across from historic downtown Wilmington. Open every day!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 July 2018

I went to see the U.S.S. North Carolina with my family. I love that it was a self guided tour, so that I could take my time to explore the battleship. I think it is awesome that North Carolina wanted to preserve this for generations to come. Just know that if you go in the summer months, it does get hot when you are touring inside the ship, even though they do have fans going. Definitely a sight to see!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,159)
All reviews
"great history lesson"
"three hours"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2018

This was a really awesome experience for my husband and I. However, it was July and it was extremely hot. They had fans going, which definitely helped, but I still sweat through my clothes and needed water desperately before we even got through all the floors. I'm not out of shape, it was just hot, so wear the least amount of clothes possible. Maybe just wait till the cooler months. I don't regret going, it was worth it! MUST SEE! Gift shop was really cute too--and air conditioned.

1  Thank sarahstockinger13
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Very hot during the summer months. Loved it! Wear comfortable shoes. Flipflops are not the best for this trip because you climb up and down steep stairs.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

My family & I have taken this tour several times & never tire of seeing this graceful and splendid war ship. It's so interesting to know the ship's history, commissioned in 1941, a few months before the attack on Pearl Harbor. One of the Navy's fastest battleships, she was equipped with the latest technology of the day. The tour takes approximately 2 hours; there are guided tours available, also for those with limited mobility. Admission is very reasonable; group rates are available. I especially liked seeing how the sailors lived, the officers' state rooms, knowing about the food they ate, and such. This is one of our all-time favorites to visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 July 2018

I would highly recommend going here especially if you are new to visiting NC or Wilmington, NC. I brought my 2-year-old son with me and it was a little tricking since there are a lot of stairs and tight spots. We managed it just took a little maneuvering. There's so much history and it was so fun to look around. I love their ship shop as well. So many awesome finds as well as prices being reasonable.