“Very unique and "Durham-esqe" place to go - esp w/ visitors from out of town!”
Review of Counting House

Counting House
Reserve with OpenTable
Counting House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 804 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Really amazing dining experience! Counting House is located inside the 21c Museum Hotel, which is a unique setting in itself. Lots of original art on the walls (and ceiling!), and open kitchen, and a clean sleek look to the space. Wait staff was excellent.
I started with a Grey Goose Martini , straight up and very dirty...delish!
Opted for "Taste (aka appetizer) and "Mostly Vegetable" which were tapas sized plates. Shimp and Grits is one of their signature dishes - was very good. Veggie was roasted asparagus w/ morel mushrooms and a perfectly poached egg...really, really good. Dessert was a pekoe creme brulee with lemon creme that the waiter likened to an "Arnold Palmer tea" - was excellent. My friend got the Choc/Pnut butter pie - was huge and very , very rich. They bring a retro mound cotton candy with the check - cute but I'm not a cotton candy fan (my dinner friends liked it).
Make sure to go to the M level for the bathrooms.....priceless! Beautiful artwork / gallery on the level above the bathrooms. Will return for a special occasion.

Tracy S, Manager at Counting House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Thank you so much for your review! We truly appreciate your feedback on our service and menu items. I am pleased that you received excellent service during your visit and that you really enjoyed the creme brulee. It is a new addition to our Summer menu. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I had lunch today at the Counting House at 21c Museum Hotel in Durham. It was a business lunch so I wanted a place that was quiet where we could talk. This fit the bill beautifully. I've eaten there before and must say I like some of the improvements to the menu that the relatively new-ish chef has made. I had the Croque Madame which was different, but nice. A little heavy on the cream and light on the ham, but delicious anyway. It came with a green salad.

Management response:Responded 30 June 2017

We are thrilled that we were able to provide you with excellent service during your dining experience. Thank you so much for your feedback on our plates as well. We would love to hear more about how you think we could do better. If you have time, please reach out to me.

Tracy Schmidt
Restaurant Manager
tschmidt@countinghousenc.com

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Wonderfully appointed restaurant with very eclectic art pieces. A lovely bright and pleasant atmosphere with a view to the prep area from the dining floor and some items prepped at a chef table surrounded by seating. Started off with a roasted beet salad, a refreshing avocado toast with fries and finished with a passion fruit pavlova with strawberries and mint.Hubs had deviled eggs with bacon ham, mac and cheese that was divine and the pavlova. A trip to the bathroom on the mezzanine level of the hotel is a must. I'll leave an element of surprise there.Diners are free to wander a couple levels of the hotel to see some incredible art as well. The only caution on this is unfortunately the service. With the exception of one fine young man most of the time the wait staff, bar, staff and hostess were rather blase towards us. We waited 10 mins for a reservation and when we entered the room there were people on phones, dirty tables and a general laisez-faire attitude. When the young man came back from some unknown place this improved. For a relaxed visit this may not bother you, at a time when you have a further appointment this could be a concern. Food five stars, service three.

1  Thank Carmen H
Management response:Responded 17 June 2017

Warm Regards,
Tracy Schmidt
Restaurant Manager
tschmidt@countinghousenc.com

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

The arrogance of the manager was woeful. As a corporate group, I still don't know why we tipped! The dishes had too much salt, steak was ok but whole experienced ruined with rude, obnoxious service. Never again and we're telling colleagues ...

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

I have been there twice, the food brought me back. We where a group of 12, had booked for 14 but two no shows. Instead of putting us on a table together, we where seated on four tables. We came in 5 min after the booked time and asked if we could move the tables together, the Chef of the Service, did argue with us it could not be done as the tables are not stable....they where super heavy. Then about 25 min after the booked time he showed up and told our contact person that he was not happy we came in 5min late and then ordered another 15 min later. To be clear we had a two hours slot, we left the table 2 min before our slot ended after having to wait for 20min for the check. The food is good, two dishes where too salty but the Steak was nice. We will not come back again despite being there often with business groups.

We all felt dealt with lack of respect as customers, it felt like an industrial approach.

Management response:Responded 30 May 2017

Dear Mr. Manuel,
Thank you for taking the time to review Counting House. I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your experience as it is not consistent with our values. Any insight I am able to give our staff and our Executive Chef to elevate our level of service will be greatly appreciated. Please reach out to me at tschmidt@countinghousenc.com or at 919.956.6782 at your convenience.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Tracy