“Delicious but a bit underwhelming”

Fairview Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Fairview Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 804 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$35 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Science Drive
Description: The Fairview Dining Room has come to define Durham fine dining with its "regional neo-American" specialties and impeccable service. The Fairview's elegant ambiance only adds to the overall experience. Every meal at the AAA Four Diamond, Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star rated restaurant is executed with culinary mastery and meticulous attention to detail.
Reviewed 8 April 2017

I went back and forth on this review a lot, whether I should rank it four or five stars. I ended up with 5 as the service was spot on, the wine list was extensive and offered a wide range of quality options, and the food was quite tasty. However, it's really quite expensive, and fell short in the experience department. The food, while good, was not excellent. The meal was very good, but not memorable. I opted for the lamb shank on a bed of risotto - the lamb was cooked well and fell off the bone, but the flavors were a bit underwhelming for the dish. I don't think you'd come away disappointed from this experience - the meal was great and the service was spot on. However, for the price, and given the foodie nature of Durham, I'm not sure I would choose to go back here with other better and cheaper options available. Perhaps for a special occasion, but if I'm going pricey, I think there are some better places in the area.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

Dined here during my stay at the Inn during a business trip and was lucky to experience the first night of their new Spring Dinner Menu. I had the pea and buttermilk soup, then the grouper. Both were excellent. My service was very good. I'll look forward to dining here again when I return with my family!

Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

Hotel buffets are typical bad. It is difficult to pull it off well.

Washington Duke did a very nice job with it. The chicken dishes were still dry, but overall the sides and proteins were good.

I had one off-the-menu lunch: chicken naan bread wrap. It was delicious. Great flavor, and unique in the naan bread.

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

My normal search for a dining destination did not include a restaurant at an Inn, until now. Our party of four each enjoyed different seasonal selections from the menu.

Each selection was uniquely presented highlighting the seasonal ingredients of the dish.

The wait staff team shared their passion of the chefs creations using the locally sourced seasonal ingredients.

Their four star rating is reinforced with exceptional service, you will not be disappointed with this dining experience.

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I enjoyed another nice dinner at the Fairview last night! We've been before, with various family members, and last night was another yummy meal! I had the halibut, which I would order again in a heartbeat, and my boyfriend said the duck was great! Service was attentive, too. (I did have to ask for tea refills, but water refills were frequent.) The only suggestion I would make for last night's dining experience would be to have the pianist play a little more softly.