“Nice & relaxing”
Review of Spa at Sanderling

Spa at Sanderling
Ranked #2 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Duck
Reviewed 25 August 2016

Very nice atmosphere. Decor was nice. I prefer private changing rooms, but open area with lockers was ok. Plenty of places to put used towels, robes etc. reflexology massage was nice, would have preferred more time on neck & shoulder/head, but was very good. Steam room was hot - Excellent! Nice lunch choices, reasonably priced.

1  Thank Cole D
sanderlingresort, Manager at Spa at Sanderling, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

Thank you for your review and kind words and helpful suggestions. We hope you will join us again in the future.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"shoes"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

The Spa at the Sanderling is top notch. From the waiting areas, the rooms and afterward relaxing areas are beautiful and clean. The staff is professional and conscientious. I had an 80 minute massage and my husband had an 80 minute shore soother of his hands, feet, neck and face. Our treatments were fabulous and very relaxing. We come to the Outer Banks often and always try to come to the spa. They also have a wonderful gift shop!

Thank you for the review and joining us at the spa. We look forward to your future visit.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were scheduled for an 80 min. Deep Tissue Couples massage. It only lasted 20 min due to the pain inflicted on me by one of their male massage therapists. After I REPEATEDLY told him that he was being too rough, he ended up popping something in my forearm which led to muscle spasms and nausea. After I screamed in pain, he said "I'm sorry. I'll be nice to you now." I told him to leave the room and I burst into tears. The other therapist was concerned and felt bad and gave us our privacy and left the room. I ran to the changing room/bathroom where I vomited. As we were leaving I was told I'd have to answer questions for an incident report. I was furious. I'm standing there with my right arm visibly quivering and all they cared about was a report. They could have emailed it to me. I was still sore after being back at our house hours later so my boyfriend called Sanderling and asked to speak to a spa manager in order to find out what their policy was to make sure this male therapist could not hurt anyone else. The manager suggested that perhaps I didn't understand what a deep tissue massage meant.
Hint to management- don't insinuate that someone who's had over 300 massages due to TMJ, neck injuries, etc... does not comprehend pressure used in deep tissue massages. In fact, it was a shoddy attempt to displace how the management mishandled a paying customer. It has now been over a month since this incident and not ONE person from Sanderling Spa has attempted to inquire about my well-being. Their silence speaks volumes.
*** the only positive thing I can say is that My boyfriend said his massage therapist was very good and in fact, she was the only kind person who bothered to check on me.

1  Thank ballerina77
sanderlingresort, Manager at Spa at Sanderling, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2016

Thank you for your candid feedback. We apologize our spa team did not meet your expectations during your spa visit on June 27. From reading your review, it is my understanding that you were disappointed with our resolution and felt our recovery was not handled in a way you deemed comfortable. It is our standard protocol to document any accusation of injury by collecting facts for a formal incident report; I apologize deeply if this approach was translated as insensitive. Your personal wellbeing is the core foundation and focus of the Sanderling Spa. After speaking with your significant other 20 minutes after your departure we were able to better understand your concerns and shared a private conversation with our licensed massage therapist. We also notated that the massages were not charged as the services were stopped; as well as an invitation to reschedule with different therapists at a later time. The protocol for any of our services is to complete a verbal consultation as well as our written intake forms to review surgeries, allergies and establish individual needs; at this time if an injury or surgery is not disclosed it can be a challenge to truly customize a service that would meet ones goals.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

My wife and I had a Couples' Massage for our 11th Wedding Anniversary when we were staying at The Sanderling Resort. This was a completely enjoyable experience. From the moment you enter The Sanderling Spa, you are immersed in relaxation. They have several waiting rooms, locker rooms (showers, steam room, etc.), a solarium, and lots of treatment rooms. We were checked in by the extremely courteous staff and given a tour of the facility, then shown where we could change for our massage package. Our massage package included an aromatherapy soak in the tub, which was extremely peaceful and faced out towards the Sound. This soak was done in a massage whirlpool type tub and was extremely relaxing. We opted for aromatherapy in the form of orange oil from our therapists, which opened up our sinuses and helped to alleviate some allergy issues. During our massage, my therapist used a hot stone on my feet, which was an interesting but relaxing experience, particularly when she hit the pressure points on my feet. My wife and I have had many different massages throughout our marriage together, particularly in our hometown area (Balance Day Spa, Kneaded Energy, etc.), but we both thought that the massage that we received at The Sanderling Spa was the most enjoyable and most complete massage we have ever had. The mixture of the warm towels, head massage, hot stones, and perfect pressure made it absolutely amazing. Our 80 minute package wound up taking about 2 hours, including time in the solarium enjoying our champagne and chocolate covered strawberries which were included in the Couples' Package. The Sanderling Spa was definitely our favorite part of our stay and total experience at The Sanderling Resort We will definitely be back to the Sanderling Spa on our next trip to the Outer Banks, even if we do not stay at The Sanderling Resort.