“Delicious Dumplings”

Shanghai Dumpling
Get food delivered
Ranked #77 of 263 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 11 April 2021 via mobile

Visited Chapel Hill for a week and my girlfriend recommended we go here. I've never had dumplings before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I'm glad I took the chance because I was pleasantly surprised.

I tried the pork dumplings and cashew chicken on one visit and the crabmeat dumplings and the BBQ pork buns on another. Everything was very tasty and very satisfying. If I were to make one complaint, it would be that the cashew chicken was more vegetables than cashew and chicken combined; though, one could argue that's what's to be expected when ordering chicken from a dumpling place.

Overall, I liked Shanghai Dumplings and I'll definitely stop by again next time I'm in Chapel Hill.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (21)

Reviewed 10 February 2021 via mobile

We went to this place to try the dumplings. The dumplings were so good. In general , the food was really great. Customer service was nice and food was ready very quick. A llace to go back to try other dishes.

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank ccaraballo
Reviewed 11 May 2020 via mobile

5/10/20
I came here for dinner, and have been craving soup dumplings for a few days now and finally found a restaurant known for them. I ordered the pork soup dumplings, House special and vegetable dumplings. I also ordered a scallion pancake and seaweed salad.
Everything was delicious but the best was most definitely the pork soup dumplings. Everything was pipping hot and tasty. I would most definitely recommend this place to anyone interested in trying some delicious soup dumplings.

Date of visit: May 2020
Reviewed 14 April 2020

We haven't visited Chapel Hill that often, but on previous trips we have dined at establishments I knew, at least by name or reputation, and had never been disappointed. On this one-night layover, as a slight diversion on our drive down to Florida, we noticed this place while roaming Franklin Street, and decided to check it out with the kids craving some soup dumplings. As I was craving some hot & sour soup myself, I was somewhat disappointed in the warm soup brought out to me, though the flavor was ok. The soup dumplings were likewise just ok. Not horrible, but not up to what we are used to in Montreal, New York, or Latham. The siu mai was not very good and we struggled to finish it. Having said that the lo mein was quite tasty and good. I don't know how this place fares with respect to other asian cuisine in the area, so hard to make a comparison. If you are craving chinese food, it is not bad, just may need to be careful what you order and what your expectations are (perhaps depending on what you are accustomed to).

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank jayclement
Reviewed 21 January 2020

The food here is excellent. I can vouch for the authenticity of the food, but I'm sure about the taste: delicious!

I had the chicken with broccoli: broccoli was fresh, perfectly cooked, chicken was tender.

Also, vegetarian dumplings--delicious and custard buns. Wow! they were fantastic--I had never had custard buns, but I'm hooked now.

Can't wait to go back and try more of the menu items here, including the big bowls of noodle soup that I saw some people eating there.

Date of visit: January 2020