Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Well Preserved Historic Settlement

The Greenough Historic Settlement is a beautifully preserved village from the 1800s. Interesting... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
TheTravelingGal28
Savannah, Georgia
Very Interesting and Spooky

My wife and I visited there today, 23/10/2020 but because my wife is still recovering from illness... read more

Reviewed 23 October 2020
MichaelD835
Baldivis, Australia

All reviews well worth a visit police station old village alpacas cafe settlement school history restoration wa government goal farms
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Greenough is located approximately 25km south of Geraldton WA. Greenough developed in the mid 1800's becoming a thriving agricultural area. The historic settlement is a collection of the remaining buildings from yesteryear. Well worth a visit.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

This little village managed by the National Trust is well worth visiting. Frozen in time from the mid 1800s, it has houses, village halls, churches, schools and a convent that are all open for inspection. There is a video in the community hall that gives a potted history of the place and interviews various local identities. I was struck with how modest the houses were. We have certainly become much more consumeristic and greedy somewhere along the way.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 9 August 2018

There are places with an insight into Australian past with lots more buildings and implements etc - what makes this site so good is that it was the town and so much was still in use to fairly recent. The churches are still used today!
It is a good and simple insight into the life and times of rural WA and well worth the 1-2 hours to wander around.
It is not a sight that I would drive up to see, but it is definitely a sight that I would stop and visit if I was in the area and one that I would encourage others to do the same - particular those interested in the area or Australian history.
Not a lot to see for young kids - principally buildings and the stories that go with it. Although they would probably love the alpacas.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Don't know how I missed finding out about this place when I was researching for our holiday. We saw a "turn-off" and came to the area. Unfortunately we hadn't planned for enough time to do a tour of the lovely old buildings, etc. We did visit and partake of a lovely afternoon tea and cups of coffee, however - and we also bought some beautiful souvenirs and handcrafts. Outside, when we were leaving, we loved seeing the alpacas - and watching them feed. We would love to go back some time and visit the whole site, with its interesting history.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 8 January 2018

Well worth the stop off to walk around the small community that once was. A look back at yesteryear and a great way to imagine life as it was in regional Australia. Buildings look gorgeous and are easy to navigate. Precinct is well maintained.

Date of experience: January 2018