Diamond Beach Village(Manda Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Mkoko House(Manda Island)
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewswater sportslamu townpastaevery mealboutique hotelindian oceaneast africatuna tartareout of this worldsunset dhowexcellent foodroyal suitejungle gymbeautiful placeboat ridespecial mentionan amazing view
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Such a Beautiful, beautiful, place, that I found a bit of myself. Forever grateful. The upgrade was lovely too! Fantastic staff, they went over and above. All in all, I'll be back soon with the love of my life.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

This was my second time staying at Majlis. I had gone with a friend for the Lamu Yoga festival. The pluses are its location , the property, swimming pools. The minuses I felt this time was their later food serving, catering. The chef was not up to the mark and didn’t make proper food. Even the one in their menu, he was forgetting to add the ingredients. There is a miscommunication between the booking office and the staff in the hotel. We asked for a twin room but we were given a double but the manager on ground was considerate and understandable. It looks like the staff is very procedural and works on fear of getting caught.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2018

The Majlis could be classified more as a boutique hotel than a resort due it's look and feel, yet it is vast and spacious, with large rooms, dining areas and immense overall grounds. Apart from the few previously classified top notch hotels in Lamu, such as the Peponi Hotel, The Majlis breaks barriers of this traditional back-backer destination.

From the time we arrived at the airport, our speedboat transfer to Manda was punctual with very welcoming staff and our check in was quite swift. Due to the hotel not being fully sold during our stay, our request for an ocean facing room was kindly considered and my children loved opening the Lamu/Zanzibar style doors and running straight out on to a vast veranda towards the beach, overseeing the sea.

The room itself was very spacious with a separate enclosure for my daughter and cot bed for our toddler. Ours was a traditional Lamu style bed and all areas had individual mosquito nets provided. The air conditioning worked well and was very necessary as temperatures soared to over 30C degrees. The rooms do not have TVs (there is a common area for this where board games can also be played), nor kettles and the fridge did not work. Drinking water in the rooms on the other hand is supplied complimentary and is in ample supply.

Even though I did read in previous reviews that some found the rooms basic, I believe the entire setting was designed to be ecofriendly and in line with the surroundings. I do however agree that more attention could be paid to thorough cleanliness especially in the bathrooms and perhaps an update on bedding and towels would be ideal as these are somewhat tired, although not significant enough to ruin our stay.

For those who fuss over skincare, the toiletries are made from natural ingredients in Nanyuki, Laikpia where I have lived. A blow dryer is provided. The shower water temperature was a hit and miss and the trickle could become a struggle to those accustomed to power showers. It is however understandable as the whole resort runs on solar and generator energy. Our room had a rainfall style shower but did not have a bath tub (I doubt that others do) and Housekeeping provided us a baby bath tub for our toddler.

My favourite area was the open dining area where the breathtaking colours and sights of the indigenous trees, sandscapes, stunning bougainvilleas all contrasted to form a magical view.

The food itself was great; selected from the A la carte menu which works for short-medium stays. The menu consists of a variety of very fresh sea-foods, pastas, starters including cold and hot soups and a few delicious desserts. Pizzas can be ordered prior. The breakfast menu was also extensive and most beverages were available, the bar was well stocked. The service at the dining area was good with friendly staff, there were times however some reminders and prompts were required but no major hitches.

The management (Marco & Enrico) were always available and friendly yet professional and the staff in general were pleasant. I enjoyed my massage with Betty who was lovely. On excursions, we took the evening sunset dhow cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it, other excursions such as a channel swim, fishing, snorkelling are all available. Day guests are also welcome for lunch etc. There is a gym and there are two swimming pools for which guests are provided with pool towel cards beforehand. The plunge pool is near the terrace style bar, where, if travelling with friends is a lovely place to have early evening drinks and mingle. Al Fresco dinners can be arranged.

The beach area is clean and tidy and feels very private, there are many Far Eastern style beach beds overlooking the oceans where one can simply unwind as the dhows glide by. After dark, the paths are lit with lamps along the way.

All in all, I would highly recommend The Majlis for short-medium stays and for those looking for an escape to a quiet place. I particularly enjoyed the art-decor placed all over the resort and the overall atmosphere of the Majlis and of course Lamu itself. It is my sincere hope that Lamu and the surrounding islands remain hidden, unexploited and quaint as this is where their charm and beauties indeed lie.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2018

My friend and i had a wonderful 7 days at the Majlis Resort ,we really enjoyed our stay
the most Amazing thing it was Excursion. The manager was really helpful and the staff
were friendly and professional recommend the place anyone looking for a place to enjoy with friends and family

Room Tip: All rooms have Air conditioner,and great sea views
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Fantastic food great staff
Amazing location and incredible scenery

On top of that very clean and so child friendly

We experienced a very special Birthday including the real Giriama Chicken Dance

truly love to stay here and we will definitely be back next year

Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family