“Bite to eat”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This is a good place. I love the Jambalaya. Great atmosphere and a nice bar setting. Prices are good and food portions were good as well. If your on Long Island, you should go.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The food was really good. I had the turkey burger special with cranberry relish. My husband had the tuna steak wrap. We both were very pleased with the taste.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

This is the only restaurant I eat salmon in. They nail it every time consistently, delicious! I get it blackened. A must try!

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We were a two couples, none of us had every been to Blackbirds, we made a reservation for 6:30 on Saturday. As soon as we walked in the door we were slammed with this wall of noise. The place was packed, but we were immediately taken to our table. It was literally impossible to talk to the people across the table without shouting, which just added to the noise level.

Our waitress came over quickly to take drink orders, which were also brought quickly. We ordered just one appetizer (fried pickle) which we all wanted to try. I and one other in our party ordered a special of braised short ribs, one person ordered the fried chicken & the other ordered the jambalaya

It took almost 20 mins to get the fried pickle, the waitress apologized with 'everyone was ordering apps and the fryer was busy' It was ok but certainly nothing I'd order again

Our dinners came out soon after. My 'special' of short ribs, garlic mashed potatoes and mixed veggies was anything but. Well that's not fair, I'm sure it would have been good had either the ribs or the potatoes been hot, they were barely warm, the gravy on the ribs was congealed. The taste was ok. The vegetables which were zucchini & broccoli was hot and very tasty.

The person having the jambalaya said it was good but also wasn't hot. My husband had the fried chicken which is said was ok, a bit rubbery and had an overwhelming taste of sage.

We finished our meal, got our check and left as quickly as possible. All in all it was not a very pleasant experience and none of us plan to return. Perhaps later in the evening or during the week the food and the atmosphere might be better.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

If only I could award zero stars...what began as a dinner out with my teenage daughter turned into a completely disappointing and frustrating evening. We arrived at 6:45 on a Friday, and the place seemed packed. Luckily, it was mostly a bar crowd and we were seated immediately. The waitress came quickly for our drink order, and returned just as fast with my seltzer and to take our order. We were so relieved we decided to give Blackbird a try--we were starving and assumed our burger/salad and steak sandwich/fries would be out in no time. Our order went in around 6:50 or so, and we chatted about the beautiful photos on the walls and the lovely decorations hung about, and by 7:15, no food and no waitress had appeared. The dining area was about 2/3 full, and they seemed to have a complete staff for the crowd. As our waitress took another table's drink order, I caught her attention, and she came by to say our dinner would be right out. Great! By 7:25, I began to see food arrive on the tables of those seated after us, and though she would walk past, our waitress did not make eye contact. My drink and our bellies were quite empty, and my patience was wearing thin. I folded my napkin, placed it in front of me, and turned to the side to try to catch our waitress' attention. She clearly was not comfortable with returning to check on us, so she disappeared into the kitchen. At 7:35, a man who I can only assume is the manager came near us, not exactly right to us, to apologize for the wait and that our dinner would be "on him." I told him a nearly 40 minute wait for a burger and a sandwich was incredible, and that his offer was nice, but we really wanted to eat. At this point, we were famished, and I told him we had options that night and chose Blackbird to see if it was worth working into our local places rotation, but that I would not be coming back. He was taken aback. I think he expected me to be delighted he was buying and leave it at that. I told him my daughter works at a place where I could have ordered my burger, been served, and nearly finished by now, and with a snarl, he said, "Yeah, a frozen burger." I corrected him--it's actually a well known butchery and kitchen just down the road. He was clearly unhappy with me because at that point he very angrily said, "Well, do you want your food or not?" I told him if it was ready right now, I did want it, right now. He turned on his heel, went to the kitchen, then back to his spot at the bar. I checked the time and told my daughter if the food wasn't on the table in five minutes, we'd be leaving. The food did not come out, the waitress never reappeared, and I left $5 to cover my drink and walked out, assuredly never to return again. There were so many points at which this could have gone better. I am an incredibly understanding and patient patron when staff communicates. This was by far the worst experience I have had in a Sayville area restaurant, and not because they didn't bring out my food. It's the little things that show you care that keep customers coming back happy. Ignoring them and insulting them does not.