“Amazing - wasn't expecting this!”
Review of Garvan's

Garvan's
Ranked #1 of 102 Restaurants in New Paltz
Reviewed 18 April 2018

This review is difficult to write because it's easy to fall into hyperbole/exaggeration (or at least be accused of it - LOL). My wife & I live in Central NJ and came up North for a ride on the local Dutchess Rail Trail with friends. Facing a long ride back, we figured we'd try one of the local food options & settled on Garvan's. From the reviews, we expected good food but the descriptions far understate the reality. To start - virtually everything is created onsite - so no cheap white bread or outsourced desserts. I began with the beet salad (pic below), followed by the scallop appetizer (& an Irish dark bread appeared around this time), then came the lobster ravioli and I finished with the apple pie a la mode (shared with my wife). Each dish was incredible: the ravioli was stuffed full with chunks of lobster, the bread was crumbly & moist, the beet salad was an amazing collection of flavors with a homemade dressing on the greens. The apple pie was different than the hundreds of other apple pies I've ever had - the crust was made from carmel (& served upside down so it wouldn't hide) and the apple pieces were sliced very thin & stacked so the pie almost looked like a brick-apple building from the side. The flavor - incredible again! While the location was close to town, it was tucked at the end of a long driveway inside of a 1700's farmhouse with wide plank floors.

I'll stop now but I'm really quite glad we're not local because it would be difficult to not treat ourselves every week. 8^)

Reviewed 18 April 2018

My family went to New Paltz for my father's 85th birthday. We picked Garvan's for his birthday meal. The setting is a beautiful building from the 1700s. So charming and elegant. They gave our group of 11 our own room which must have been the family's dining room way back when. The food is high quality Irish fare and is very reasonably priced. The staff is so nice. The crew assembled to sing Dad Happy Birthday with the owner front and center. There is nothing that can be criticized about Garvan's. It's an excellent homey restaurant. Go enjoy!

Reviewed 16 April 2018

We stopped by this restaurant for a four o'clock tea and had assorted cakes on the terrace. The waitress commented how we were the first customers to do so after the tremendous snow storms we had in the region.

The weather was awesome and they do serve the Irish Barry's Tea" (the best). The assorted cakes were delicious and we were not disappointed.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

Was on my way home from newburgh airport and stopped for dinner. Very pleasant surprise. Greeted immediately by friendly owner and waiter. Seated and greeted. Great martini, ok bread. It was healthy. Had the ribeye steak and mashed potatoes. Perfect. Wife had chicken and mushrooms over pasta. Delicious. No dessert and reasonable. Its a keeper.

1  Thank bruce t
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Can't say enough about this place. The owner is beyond welcoming, the food is always great. The atmosphere, historic house set on a golf course. Been there several times and never disappointed including St. Patty's, No fixed menu and still good food despite the sold out crowd. Bar feels like a pub in Ireland. I can't leave a review without mentioning his wives bread, made with flour flown in from Ireland and it's delicious. If your in the area, give it a try, you won't be sorry!!

Been to Garvan's? Share your experiences!