“The Real Action up Close”
Review of Hangar Theatre

Hangar Theatre
Ranked #19 of 49 things to do in Ithaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Hangar Theatre is Ithaca's premier professional regional theatre, presenting award-winning plays and musicals, live theatre for children, experimental theatre, new play readings, cabarets, special events, art exhibits, and more. Located in a renovated airplane hangar on the site of Ithaca's first airport, esteemed Broadway stars frequently headline Hangar productions. Coming Up Next: "Hangar Hits the Runway" Dec 8 at 3pm, a fashion show and shopping event with Jane Morgan's Little House. Proceeds support the creation of costumes for Hangar productions. "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Dec 13-15 Theatre Incognita presents this acerbic, hilarious and shattering journey into the battlefields of marriage and academia. "The Burns Sisters Holiday Concert" Dec 21 at 8pm, hear original songs and seasonal selections from cultures around the world. These local singer-songwriters have toured with Arlo Guthrie, creating their own blend of folk, rock, and blues. Bring donations for the food bank and be entered to win prizes.
Reviewed 24 July 2016

We were visiting friends in Clayton, NY and my wife's former, boss, who's daughter is in the performing arts was appearing at the Hangar during our visit. So, we gathered everyone up and traveled over two hours to this venue. Interesting construction. "In the Heights" was playing at the time and it is a great show. I always find the small theater's more Interesting. You never know what you are going to find. If your traveling and wondering what you can do for excitement, check on the towns or cities you might be passing through. You might just find one of these small theater's that you will find interesting. Small towns can also put on good shows.They do bring you closer to the action which we like. Also review the show being presented. Sometimes it might not turn out to your liking, so it's always a good thing to check first. You will also find Cornell University here as well. A nice venue, seating for a couple hundred.

All reviews
"acoustics"
"picnic"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2016

The Hangar Theatre name comes from an earlier use of the property as the hangar for Ithaca's first airport. You'll find historic photos in the lobby and you'll be delighted at the excellent reuse of the facility. I'm guessing that the facility seats 150 to 200, all very comfortably around a thrust-out stage and everyone is reasonably close to the action on stage.

This is truly professional theater in every respect. The seats, stage equipment, lighting, restroom, ticket booth, lobby, and food service is all top drawer and reasonably new within the past five to ten years.

As for the Center for the Arts at Ithaca production of Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights, it's top rate professional theater. Each summer for 42 years, the theater company has presented four or five plays. I haven't seen the others, but this was excellent theater with a cast of pros across the board.

I suspect that several other groups use the Hangar during the rest of the year and it's a good bet that you'll find every performance rises to the level demanded by such a good play house.

2  Thank ChipD58
Reviewed 29 June 2016

We went to a matinee to see the first show of the season and were thoroughly delighted. The theater is a made-over airport hanger and it is lovely! The staff was welcoming and refreshments were available in the lobby. The theater did not appear to have a bad seat anywhere. The line of sight was great, as were the acoustics. We also really enjoyed the play (which is now over), but the line-up for the summer looks wonderful. I recommend this venue to anyone interested in the theater this summer.

1  Thank D-Leader
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Really enjoyed the production of "I loved, I lost, I made spaghetti." The theater is fairly small, but all seats have good line of sight. Prices are very reasonable and amenities available. The Wednesday 2 PM show in the summer is a real plus for older folks who do not want to drive at night. I am anxious to try the summer kiddie shows with my grandchildren. Give it a try.