“An experience not to be missed!”

Mozambique Horse Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Come and share in the epic adventures of the Retzlaff family where the legends of the rescued horses of Mozambique Horse Safari come to life. Open your eyes to a different world, where you will ride the beaches on a sprightly bay, wade into turquoise seas and share in the unbreakable bond between man and horse. The majority of our horses were rescued from Zimbabwean farms at the height of political violence and each horse has their own incredible story. You will meet Texas, the strong grey gelding who was about to be fed to lions, and Princess, a gentle loving mare who survived a spear to the shoulder by marauding thugs. You will also meet Lady an orphan foal that has grown into the matriarch of our herd, and Morango, a newly born foal and hope for the future. Our guests become part of the family and often return regularly with deep bonds forming between horse and rider. Riding with Mozambique Horse Safari is a truly life changing experience!
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Mandy and Pat are two of the most interesting and inspiring humans you can meet... couple them with a dreamy beach ride and you have the recipe for an experience never to be forgotten.
I have never seen such a magnificent collection of horses in such good condition. This is not a business for Mandy and Pat, these beautiful animals are their family and their lives.
What a privilege to share the afternoon together.

I learnt more about how to ride a horse in our afternoon than I have on all the bush rides I have ever been on put together.
I will certainly be back! Thank you so much!

1  Thank kirstyw791
Mozambliquemandy, Owner at Mozambique Horse Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Thank you for this lovely review. My eyes always well with tears when people say such lovely things. The horses deserve so much praise. They try so hard and there is nothing more wonderful than people writing in to say how much they enjoyed their ride. So Thank You.

All reviews
"beautiful horses"
"once in a lifetime"
"in great condition"

Reviewed 16 January 2018

We enjoyed the beach horse ride with Mozambique Horse Safari. It was my first time riding on a horse but the guides were very helpful and made it look easy. My young girls really liked it and the next day they were asking for more! I would greatly recommend anyone visiting Vilankulo to put the horse ride on their to do list.

Amanda R, Owner at Mozambique Horse Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

I am so glad that you and the girls enjoyed the ride. We really appreciate you riding with us and leaving a review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 12 January 2018

Wow wow wow! This was one of my best experiences ever- especially finally getting to meet Mandy and Pat! The horses are in incredible condition and are so lovely to ride.
Cantering on the wide beaches was the highlight of my trip! I highly recommend experiencing this and reading Mandy's book, 104 Horses, before so that you can have a brief background of what Mandy, Pat and the horses have been through.
Cannot wait to go back!

1  Thank alixmoreillon

Thanks so much for the lovely message, we are so glad that you enjoyed the experience and can't wait to have you back.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

A unique experience in near paradise. Excellent horses superbly well kept; one is taken on a somewhat challenging course, including a romp along the beach. Mandy also has a unique approach to things didactic - she immediately identifies those who can "Darling! I can see you have ridden before; excellent" and those who can't "I can see you have NO experience, you are holding your reins incorrectly AND look like a sack of potatoes". Notwithstanding the onslaught on those who can't, an excellent experience for all those not challenged by anything resembling a potato.

1  Thank WhenWe123
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 December 2017

I decided to celebrate my 70th birthday by doing something different!! Had read an article in the press about this amazing couple and their heroic rescue of horses out of Zimbabwe so I decided to go and give them some support in their venture in Mozambique.
It was one of my best experiences ever. The horses were beautiful and so loved, Pat and Mandy were such positive people despite the difficulties they have faced in their lives, the scenery was stunning and the accommodation and food excellent.
The riding was very varied, no two days were the same and we went to some really interesting places on horseback. The level of riding was adjusted to one's own standard so it always felt very safe.
Cannot recommend Mozambique Horse Safari enough, you just have to experience the magic of it all. The highlight for me was definitely swimming in that warm, blue sea with the horses and being on the back of a horse that was swimming underneath me. The bonus was that the horses were undoubtedly enjoying themselves as well.
Will definitely go back.

Amanda R, Manager at Mozambique Horse Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Thanks so much for the lovely message, means so much and we would love to have you back.