Chembe Eagles Nest
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Bliss & Honey(Blantyre)
TripAdvisor
All reviewseagles nestlake malawicape maclearfishbeautiful placesunset cruisechickeni'm surewith great water pressurewashing clothesper personlodgecampsitebeachvillagemanagerend
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

My friend and I spent a weekend in a twin room and had a really lovely, relaxing time. We thoroughly enjoyed the sunset boat ride and swim in Lake Malawi, the water is beautifully clear, there are plenty of brightly coloured fish to snorkel with and the sunset was stunning. The rooms are basic but very clean and have air con - a luxury in Malawi! We loved spending a couple of lazy days on the beach and you could be mistaken for waking up from a long nap thinking you were on a tropical island somewhere. I would definitely stay again. Sausage dog sightings were an added bonus that really made my weekend!

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I can only review the restaurant since I was camping. Food is average, not bad not good. We had fish with mashed potatoes. Considering the many fishermen selling fresh fish next door I would expect some decent fish here.
However the worst thing is that the portions were so tiny that both my friend and I were still very hungry after the main course. Asking for a supplement of mashed potatoes we were told that we will not get one as there will be desert (yes, also tiny). We argued with the waitress about having some more potatoes, but no she was strict.
We finally brought our own food after dinner and were eating it in the restaurant to avoid sleeping hungry.
What a pitty. A couple of potatoes would have cost them some cents.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

On the way here I was beginning to have my doubts but once we arrived I knew it was worth it. This is a really lovely, quiet place to stay. (We kayaked to Domwe island and stayed overnight there as well which we thoroughly enjoyed and recommend.)
Food was excellent. Staff attentive. Rooms lovely despite the massive HAIRY spider which one of the cleaners cleared out of our room with her broom! What a woman. Even she said it could have bitten.
Helpfully the local traders are kept outside the gate so you really do not get hassled here.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fabclarke
Reviewed 20 June 2017

We stayed for a few days at the end of a 2 week tour to Zambia and Malawi. First the positives - the location set outside the main village of Cape Maclear is great. The rooms are good with air conditioning and there is decent Wifi if that is what you want.

Food was limited in choice but very tasty and bar had all you could want. We went on a few of their tours on their catamaran and these were very good - seeing Fish eagles feed is one of the most amazing sites I have seen.

The biggest negative was the water - it is so random - one second being hot and the next having no water at all. The management kept saying they need to reset the system but we were there for a few days and for a large part of that there was no water at all in the chalets. In the winter days where its not so hot you can live without this but if it were hotter it would be awful as even the toilets wont flush when the water is not on. If they fix this then this would be a perfect location.

To be fair having hot water does seem to be a luxury in Malawi and it does not phase me as much as it would others and this place is not much worse than others we stayed in re having water. At least the others had cold water however - this one had none when it was off.

In summary this lodge could be so so good if they sorted out the water issues - whilst they still are there, its still a great place but the lack of water got frustrating.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2017

This is the most beautiful place - the lake provides a serene back drop each day. Cabins are comfortable - food basic - no wifi - boat trip eagle feed and seeing the amazing tropical fish is worth doing

Room Tip: Wonderful quiet and stunning views
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled solo