“Not what we expected”
Review of Sushi Prime 88

Sushi Prime 88
Ranked #74 of 148 Restaurants in Clifton Park
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We did not know that it was an AYCE place and when we asked to see a "regular" menu, we were told that it was not an option on that particular night. Hmmm. Ok. Then we were told that we could order as many items as we wanted but if we could not finish them, we would be charged extra for that. Hmmm. Ok again. We only had one checklist so we decided to try a few things and maybe get more of the ones we liked. Our server never came back after bringing us the first "course". We sat and enjoyed our drinks for a while before we flagged down another server for help. She brought more sheets for us to fill out but overall I thought it was an awkward experience. Soup came with mushrooms and I asked if they could omit them. When she returned, she dropped the check and asked what kind of ice cream we wanted. We really weren't done with dinner! Also, I didn't appreciate the automatic 18% gratuity on the check. The service was not worth it. We won't be back.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

I have been to this place twice already. It is the best AYCE sushi I have had. I have eaten at the other AYCE restaurants in the area and they are not good or fresh. The sushi at Sushi Prime 88 is fresh and good and offers a good variety of rolls. The kitchen menu gives u a good variety and offers a lot of what is on the regular menu so u can try different things. The depth bomb roll and shrimp fried rice were my favorites. I will not be eating at any other AYCE sushi restaurants.

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

Seven of us out celebrating a family birthday. Place looks new. Great attentive staff. All you can eat option available. Ample parking in the strip mall parking lot.

Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

I met a friend for all you can eat sushi and thoroughly enjoyed every bite! There was a good variety of foods and the ingredients were very fresh. The staff was very attentive and friendly as well. I will be returning for more!

Reviewed 28 October 2017

I've been to several restaurants within the first few days of opening. It's usually a bad experience. Not last night or today at Sushi Prime 88 (yeah, I went twice in two days...my son came home from college and wanted sush). Open just a few days, nobody really knows about it yet. So I went in at 5:30PM yesterday and was the only person there. Today, at lunch, there were about 10 tables with people. It's catching on within the first week of opening.

Prime 88 looks a bit like a new Asian fusion restaurant. Some colored LED lights, modern furniture, a water sculpture up front and modern paintings on the wall. There are a number of separate tables that look like they can be put together for large groups. I sat at a booth. It was comfortable.

Wait staff was very attentive, both visits, and seemed to know what they were doing. I asked for some sake and it came right away along with ice water. Throughout the meal, they kept checking in on me and were very helpful...not too attentive (which I wouldn't have liked). Same experience the second visit with my wife and son.

It's an all-you-can-eat sushi place, so I ordered off a couple of forms (see photos). I got the sashimi salmon salad. It was the best thing I ate. Very fresh salmon in 1/4" cubes on top of a fresh iceberg lettuce salad. Just a small amount of ginger dressing. Really good...on my second visit at lunch, I had two sashimi salads.

Between dinner and lunch the next day, I've tried 5 of their roles. Best two were The Four, and Tiger. I also had eel, yellowtail and salmon sushi along with a spicy salmon hand roll. Everything was fresh. Not even a hint of fishy smell. The rice was a tad sticky first night but by the next day, it was perfect. On both visits, the sushi came fast. That hasn't always been my experience at all-you-can-eat places. So I was impressed.

While I wouldn't say this is the best sushi I've had (and I've had plenty), it was good enough that I'll go back. We go to SushiX in Latham pretty often as it's too expensive to go out for ala carte sushi with our grown sons. We tend to get our money's worth. After lunch with my son, we all agreed this was better than SushiX.

I expect we'll start coming to Sushi Prime 88 from now on. It's within a couple miles of our house and, as I say above, it's very good. Price is reasonable at $23.99 for all you can eat. My hot sake was $8 and there's an 18% gratuity added onto every check.

I am a bit of a food snob, so a "5" rating is only for those places that I'd definitely recommend to everyone. This place is more like a 4.5. I'd have no hesitation telling my friends that like sushi to go here, especially if they want to get their money's worth.

If you're driving past Clifton Park on the Northway (in either direction), it's an easy off-on dinner visit. Head west off Exit 9 on Route 146 past the main traffic light. Just beyond the next light (by McDonalds) you'll take a left into the parking lot. It's less than a mile off the highway.

Clifton Park is starting to have lots of sushi spots. This is the only all-you-can-eat and I say, "welcome to the neighborhood...see you again soon".