“Traditional New Mexico Holiday Favorites”

Jane Butel Cooking School
Ranked #7 of 11 things to do in Corrales
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn to cook Southwestern-style by whipping up some of the greatest salsas, tamales, and blue-corn chiles rellenos this side of Mexico.
Reviewed 28 December 2017

Having made recipes from Jane Butel's cookbooks for years, I was still blown away by how much there was to learn about techniques and ingredients in cooking her delicious recipes. Jane entertained our fun group with history, and family stories connecting to her recipes. In our traditional holiday meal we learned how to make tamales that were the best I have ever eaten. Our other dishes were Posole, red chile sauce,guacamole, margaritas, and bizcochitos. All were outstanding, you wont' find better. If you want to learn how to make Jane Butel's authentic recipes, first hand, from an expert, I highly recommend joining one of the many classes she offers. Her classes are taught in her home, with the feel of a family gathering. I have already signed up for another one.

janebutel, Owner at Jane Butel Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Thank you so very much for your generous praise, Peggy!

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"home"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 20 September 2016

A friend and I just spent the weekend at Jane’s cooking school. I learned more here in a very short time than I could have ever expected. With my new skills I acquired during this cooking class I’m very confident that I can make some of the very best NM Mexican cuisine that is available anywhere! The recipes we worked with have been handed down through the decades from Jane’s grandmother. They are well tested and all outcomes are exceptional. Many of them are with far fewer ingredients that you will find in many of the recipes that are out there. You know the ones that wear you out just looking at the list if ingredients and steps to go through to make a dish. Jane was available throughout the day to provide help with techniques, assistance and to answer any questions you have. On top of it all, it was fun. I’m already planning to attend another weekend class, this time with our husbands. I would highly recommend any of Jane’s classes to anyone that is serious about learning about cooking Southwestern dishes or just come with friends to have a great time!

janebutel, Owner at Jane Butel Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

Thanks Jane--you were a great asset to the class. Your enthusiasm, skills and sense of humor was a wonderful addition. I look forward to staying in touch and cooking together in the future! All the best, Jane Butel

Reviewed 30 August 2016

I recently took a five day "Tex Mex" cooking class from Ms. Jane Butel in Corrales, NM. The experience exceeded my high expectations. Not only did we have a lot of hands on experience with a wide range of recipes, but there were many "not to miss" tips that you can take home and apply to many cooking situations.

The history discussions that took place every morning about cooking in the region provided fascinating information. Ms. Butel is a riveting individual. She has had a lifetime of unique experiences that are a basis for her wealth of information and cooking expertise. The locale is charming and inviting. Not to miss if you have the opportunity.

janebutel, Owner at Jane Butel Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2016

Thanks so very much for such kind and wonderful words. I really enjoy giving the classes and your class was indeed very, very special. Jane Butel

Reviewed 5 January 2016

Loved Jane's class I had to repeat! Jane can teach and demo in most fun ways and menus are awesome. She causes fun and knowledge to be delicious and traditional.
For a good time (smie) and class New Mexican cooking, call Jane ! I'll be back!

1  Thank posole_junky