“"Best Southwestern food I have ever tasted"”

Jane Butel Cooking School
Ranked #7 of 11 things to do in Corrales
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn to cook Southwestern-style by whipping up some of the greatest salsas, tamales, and blue-corn chiles rellenos this side of Mexico.
Reviewed 15 November 2015

My wife took Jane's weekend class and I got to enjoy the outstanding lunch they created today. I have been eating this style food for 67 years (being born and raised in New Mexico) and this was bar none, the best I have ever tasted. For the first time in my life I could not pick a favorite dish as everything was just that good. Jane also made me feel like an honored guest in her friendly kitchen.

2  Thank David D
"history"
in 7 reviews
"home"

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I attended a weekend hands-on class of the Jane Butel Cooking School. I question whether she even has a license to run the cooking school out of her home. While her knowledge of southwestern cooking is superb, and the menu was delicious, and all her tips were great, her running of a class lacks professionalism. There were too many of us crowded into her kitchen, making things really tight. The class was not inexpensive, and yet a couple of us received aprons that had obviously been used before and were not new. In addition, her dogs were running all over the house, barking loudly to the point it was difficult to hear her speak; the dogs were in the kitchen area a lot. You were having to constantly watch where you were stepping, since the dogs had priority. Several of us nearly stepped on them, and we were constantly having to make sure not to trip over them. Dogs are not mentioned on her website, and need to be, given animal allergies people may have. Animal hair was everywhere. Nonetheless, whether you like them or not, dogs have no business in a cooking class! She runs her mail-order business out of her garage, storing the dry food out there and doing her packaging. Two of us had to put food into a refrigerator in the garage, and were shocked to see all her spices out there, right next to the trash cans, on a sort of work bench. She lives in the country (what I would call country), and there have to be mice/rats out there, and probably snakes, as well as bugs. Obviously, the sanitary conditions of the garage do not come close to meeting what I would think are requirements for such a food industry business. One last comment, she does have a temper, and if you are doing something wrong, you will know about it and be duly embarrassed. Sadly, this class was not the fun expected. One thing for sure--we will never order anything from her Pecos Valley Spice Company, having seen the terrible conditions under which the spices are stored.

13  Thank SWRetiredTraveler
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My girlfriends and I celebrated a 50th birthday by taking a hands-on full participation class with Jane. I cannot say enough to describe what a truly wonderful experience it was! First of all, Jane is a world-class chef and instructor who is the leading authority on all things chile. She welcomes you into her charming home and her restaurant level kitchen to begin learning. We started with a fascinating introduction to the history of chile then proceeded to working together in teams of two. With Jane's help, we made the Perfect Margarita (LOVED them! So fresh!), Guacamole (chunky and delicious), Pollo Borracho (a chicken dish that is really so good, words fail me...I'm not kidding), Spiced Pecan & Pear Salad (yummy!), and the grand finale...Tres Leches Cake which is a totally decadent luscious sponge cake soaked in brandy and topped with whipped cream, fresh strawberries & raspberries. As you could imagine, that cake was spectacular!
If you love to cook and want to learn new recipes, if you love chile and want to learn from the leading expert, or if you just plain love to eat fantastic food, TAKE this class! You will not regret it.

3  Thank sandiagal
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I received Jane Butel's Southwestern cooking weekend class for a gift, and it was one of my favorite presents ever. I was fortunate to be in a very small class -- just 3 students -- so we had so many hands-on cooking opportunities. Not only is Jane Butel a master chef, she is so approachable, passionate about Southwestern cuisine and eager to share her culinary knowledge and skills with her students.

We cooked for 5 hours a day, learned so many wonderful recipes and cooking techniques, and then got to sit down to a tremendous feast with a glass of wine every afternoon. I was excited to bring home the recipes to cook for my family -- I especially enjoyed making tamales from scratch, fish tacos, homemade corn tortillas and quesadillas and so many other dishes. I also purchased many spices from Jane's spice company to bring home because the flavors are so bright and fresh - they add so much flavor to her dishes.

Treat yourself to this one-of-a-kind opportunity to learn from and cook with a top chef -- and stay at the Chocolate Turtle B & B while you're in Corrales. Both were fabulous experiences for me, and I hope to have the opportunity to come back from another class and visit.

2  Thank writermb
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This "hands on" week-long cooking school is a "must do" for those who enjoy or want to learn more about traditional Southwestern Cooking. Jane Butel instills an appreciation for each prepared dish by giving the history and background of ingredients, clearly communicating how the recipe comes together, then demonstrating "you eat with your eyes" techniques for final plating. This comprehensive approach gives students a much deeper understanding of the "whats", "whys" and "hows" of the dishes prepared. For example, did you know...red chile is the world's best anti-oxidant?...that there are over 7000 varieties of chiles? ...and that lard has less cholesterol/saturated fat than butter?
Students (6 in total) worked in teams and over the 5 days, prepared over 50 dishes. We started at 8:30 a.m. and when it came time to leave each day, about 3 p.m., we couldn't believe all those hours had gone by, we were all having such a good time!
My favorite dishes included Carne Adobado (Pork with Red Chile Sauce), Fresh Garden Salsa, Sopaipillas (Deep Fried Bread Puffs), Margarita Pie, Green Chile Stew, and, of course, Guacamole (the avocado must be in chunks, not mashed!)
Graduation Day was bittersweet...on the last night, we went to a wonderful restaurant in Albuquerque, The Artichoke, received our diplomas and celebrated one of the most educational and fun-filled weeks ever!

1  Thank kprez