Wild Orchid Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Manana Hotel(Olongapo)
View Hotel
All reviewsbarefoot barbeach frontsubic baypool sidehuge swimming poolfree shuttlesteakpay cashsubic areaother hotelsgreat poollive entertainmentpool tablea bit priceybeach areabarrio barettodeluxe room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 2, 2017

I had a 3 day 2 night stay at the Wild Orchid, Subic Bay. The parking lot was big and easy to safely park my car. Checked into a "Superior Room" one hour early with no problems. The room was spacious with a King Bed, Sofa, Desk, Dining table, full kitchen, bathroom and dressing room. Air Conditioning was very good but unit made constant noise. At night it was useful as white noise to help you sleep. The Television was on the small side for this size of a room. The room was very clean and no bugs.

Three restaurant/bars to eat and drink at. All had good food and drink but service was very poor and slow by unattentive staff at the Barefoot Bar and Scalliwags. The staff seemed to care about their own time schedules and needs but not the customers needs. The exception was Moby Dicks Bar which also served some food. The ambiance was very good and the staff was excellent on refilling drinks and addressing customer needs.

The pool is large and clean. Great for swimming!! Nice poolside tables and chairs to relax too.

The Barefoot Bar had live music at night with a good band that takes requests. However, the Barefoot Bar is in need of some updating and paint. Again, the service there is very poor from the staff with very long wait times for service food and drinks. Outside the Barefoot Bar is the Beach. Boloy Beach is Boloy Beach...what more can I say.

Overall, the Wild Orchid was a comfortable place to stay but slightly over priced for what you were getting. Especially when Staff tells you that no outside food and drink is allowed and your suite has a full kitchen. Makes no sense, other than they want you to be hungry in your room so you clean out and pay for the minibar along with paying higher prices in their bar/restaurants.

I hope The Wild Orchid takes time to train their staff on hospitality and Service to the paying Customer. You will find some good staff members there but they are hard to find. Checkout was easy but I had to wait while someone went to my room to check the status of the minibar and room.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are most expensive in hotel but they are large and have good views with many windows but no balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank francisr568
Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

Good sized rooms that are now a bit old and dated m? Great bar and fantastic pool. Food is average for the price but lots of places nearby for eating out Prices are well above other places but the difference is worth it

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2017

I had read reviews that Wild Orchid has bad service, but these turned out to be dramatic understatements - there is next to no service at all. You can see from my reviews I have massive experience traveling in Asia and I mostly write positive reviews. We were the only group pool-side and only one or two other people were dotted around the restaurant, so not busy at all. I started by ordering a coffee.. 30 minutes later it had not showed up as we made our breakfast order. Another 10 minutes later I gave up I went and got the coffee myself. I asked why they are having trouble and she replied “We are so busy Sir" .. while nobody else was around.

Firstly, just half of one of my friends breakfast showed up. He asked where the rest was, the toast and tea. 5 minutes later the toast was bought out on a second trip. Then a third trip the tea came out. I politely asked her why she made 3 trips, repeating the question as I was eager for an answer but she just said 'sir, sir?' I started to worry as I asked where the other breakfasts are. One more then came out.

My wife and I waited as the others began to eat. Approaching one hour our meals finally arrived. My eggs Benedict was stone cold, obviously it had been sitting on the bench cold as the cook prepared my wife's food. It must have been sitting there more than 20 minutes because there was no warm temperature in it whatsoever. The cook hadn't drained the water off the poached eggs and it had soaked into the cold wet bread. I siphoned one and half more tissues full of water off the plate… so he had clearly given me two large spoons-full of water along with the poached eggs. It was disgusting, and hard to eat with the spoon provided - no knife. (That came out well after I gave up eating). The extra hash brown requested was actually black, burned and soggy with oil, really revolting and I didn’t eat it.

We signalled to the waitress and she came to take our order for shakes. About to leave the table without taking any of the dirty plates with her, I called her back to clear the table and she took just one plate. After a while I got so tired of the flies hanging around the dirty plates, we just cleared the table ourselves, transferring the mess to the empty table beside us. The shakes soon came out. I asked the girl if she can see the rubbish all around the resort pool (Check the photos) and asked her why she just keeps walking past it.. she just kept saying “Sir, sorry Sir”. Looking into the vacant space behind her glazed eyes was like looking into a cows eyes standing idol in a paddock, only - a cow grazing on sticky buds. Not much activity going on up in that skull, if any at all.

More friends arrived and started ordering beer and a different waitress came this time. Leaving our table without taking even one piece of the collection of around 5 empty shake glasses that by now are making a lovely fly-trap.

Another foreign guest arrived and was entering the pool. I watched him also point out to this waitress about rubbish everywhere .. she just walked away back to the bar. We couldn’t take another minute of this place and opted to attend the bar to pay the bill, not wanting to risk a 45 minute bill-out. While we were at the bar I asked to the two waitresses and one other staff why they didn’t clean up the trash around the pool even when two guests had asked about it, but I was just met with blank stares.

The bill-out and pay procedure approached 10 minutes even though we had gone up to the counter - they had run off to look for change as we were determined to not leave any tip. A few more minutes went by and I asked them again why they refuse to pick up the trash around the pool. “I said can I have a plastic bag? ..I will go do it.” I repeated “can I have a plastic bag” and started getting very irritated. Now they are all just staring at me. Eventually I went in behind the bar myself and grabbed a plastic bag from the rubbish bin. I took it and filled it up with all the trash I was just sick of looking at. By the time I filled the bag and got back to the bar they had all fled. No-one was to be found at all, so I took the bag of trash to the reception and flung it on the counter and told the lot of them what a rotten experience we have just had.

My wife told me later that the waitress was ‘rolling her eyes’ when I wasn’t looking at her. So clearly she wasn’t learning anything and thinks I am the one in the wrong.

The pool at Wild Orchid is terrific and I have stayed at this hotel on about a dozen occasions, but never again even if it was free and if I could just serve myself.! I can’t tolerate the untrained, un-experienced, idiot staff and no manager anywhere.

Being a Level 6 Luxury Hotel Specialist and level 25 Hotel Specialist Contributor with a leading number of 'Helpful' votes (Now called Thumb’s up) …you might imagine I put a lot of time into helping fellow travellers by writing detailed and honest reviews. I get paid Nothing.. No rewards, No discounted accommodation, No points… nothing, just a mouse click from you. So if anything in the review is useful please let me know by clicking me a ‘Thumbs Up to keep me going’…. thanks!

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
14  Thank SmithersinAU
Reviewed September 28, 2017

Stayed for ten days, first day lost hot water, got moved to an upgraded room (by the staff) and room rate stayed the same. Had good food at the bar or on the beach front BBQ bar that had great steaks. Just watch the left turn out onto the main road it could lead you to a more adventurous nitelife..

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bbramos
Reviewed September 27, 2017

We checked into the hotel around 3pm. Left 2 hours later. Why?

Check-in took over 30 minutes and there was no one there but us. Which we later thought back and realized this should have been our first clue.

No Hot Water in the shower. called for help, they said they'd send someone. 45 minutes later, no one. called again, same reply, same response.

Shower Towels with holes. Not small holes, holes a small child could crawl through. The weird thing is that they were washed and folded into a heart shape on the bed, which means someone saw the hole, and assumed it was OK to leave towels with big holes in them for the customer to use. It was almost comical.

Bathroom ceiling with black mold. We noticed within 10 minutes of entering our room. Which brings up another question. If we noticed it within 10 minutes, what is the staff see when they clean the room? Are they blind?

Mosquitos. OK, it's the tropics, but why does the room have 30-40 mosquitos flying around in it? Did they leave the doors open the night before? Strange

After deciding to leave 2 hours after we arrived, an assitant manager apologized for the problems, telling us he's only been working their 2 weeks (he was Austrailian) and said it's a mess right now and he's working on fixing it.

He said he would be happy to refund our money, which was only $200 dollars for 2 rooms for 1 night each. Four days later I get an email from Captain John Robert Willies (yes that's his name) saying there will be no refund because we used the room for 2 hours.

I really don't care about the $200. If they need it that bad and are willing to accept negative reviews as a trade, then that's up to them.

But, to apologize to the customer and tell them they will not charge them, and then later waffle on their agreement tells us more about upper management and their inability to follow through.

Looking back the parking lot was empty, so was the lobby, and we didn't see anyone in the swimming pool in the middle of day. It seemed deserted. Weird.

I could not recommend this hotel to anyone. They do not understand how to run a hotel and care about customers.

Room Tip: Sorry, but I can't say the rooms are good
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends