“Decent middle eastern food”
Review of Mike's Falafel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mike's Falafel
Ranked #17 of 44 Restaurants in West Caldwell
Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

I order for lunch occasionally as they have pretty good salads. The Shawarma is ok, as are the gyros. The problem is that the pita bread is often dry. This is more of a take out place as the atmosphere in the dining area is not very inviting. As said, it's decent, but if your looking for middle eastern food there are a ton of better choices in the CLIFTON area.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

I felt like I was back in Jerusalem! Excellent chicken shawarma, scrumptious felafel sandwich -- authentic and absolutely delicious. There are tables, but most of their business appears to be take-out. Service is just as fast as any fast food joint, but WAY better quality (and much better for you). Patronize it, please -- we need more places like this in the Caldwells to replace some of the crappy pizza franchise outlets.

Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

Middle Eastern food here.

The staff is very friendly but the place is set up kind of like a pizzeria in that if you intend to eat there, you will have to decide want you want to eat then place your order at the counter but don't forget to first grab your drinks out of the cold box and then pay for it and then go into a separate dining room to sit down. The girl behind the counter brought our food to our table fairly quickly and told us that we could leave the dishes there when we were finished.

An improvement might be to have the menu posted above the counter so it is easier to decide what you want because there are many items to decide from especially if it is your first time there or have only been a few times before and need time to review and decide. Also, perhaps give customers the option of paying AFTER the meal so they don't feel rushed to order everything up front. Additionally, that eliminates the need to be 'rung up' multiple times... each time you have another drink or another side dish. or decide to order dessert and so forth.

For food, we ordered:
Shrimp kebab pita sandwich which was very tasty.
The beef kebab platter had two small skewers of beef with yellow rice and Greek salad and was also delicious.
Falafel pita sandwich with choice of tzatziki or tahini sauces was good.
Greek salad was basic but good.
The chicken fingers with French fries were really good, particularly the fries had that crispy coating that I love.
Finally, the gyro was as good as you'd expect it to be

I am much more familiar with Greek desserts than Middle Eastern so some of these were new to me. The desserts are not listed on the menu and I do not remember the names other than the baklava which is very slightly different than the Greek version. They are kept behind the glass counter from which I selected all three to try. They were all good and mostly made with honey, rosewater, phyllo, etc.. very subtle and not overly sweet or anything.

I will be a regular customer if it is always this good.

1  Thank PizzaMavin
Reviewed 11 February 2016

Stopped in to get a Gyro one beef and one chicken and a spinach
and feta Bourekas. Very tasty gyros and very generous portions. Borakas was good and a nice addition with the Gyro. Very reasonable pricing.

1  Thank Harry S