“Great Meal at a Great Price”

Azteca Mexican Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #93 of 325 Restaurants in Toms River
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 March 2016

Since learning about this restaurant I try to dine there at least once every month. Reason, the food is tasty, lots of it to eat and totally affordable.

I have taken my relatives and friends here so they can experience Mexican Food done right. Unlike the belief that Mexican food is "Hot" to your last buds I find it to be mild unless you request it to be Hot!

I just love their food and their desserts are enough to kill for!

Reviewed 1 February 2016

We love going to Azteca. The food is delicious, fresh and creative. We enjoy the Spanish Guitarist. The colors inside the restaurant are exquisite. We have been to many Mexican Restaurants and this one is by far our favorite all around. Food, Music, Color...we LOVE it !!

Reviewed 15 November 2015

My family dined this evening at Azteca and loved it. We hadn’t been here in a while and had forgotten just how excellent it is. Saturday night is an especially pleasant time to go to Azteca because there is live music. A guitar player with an amazing voice sings Mexican classics and helps elevate an already satisfying dining experience.

Every aspect of our meal was superlative. The service, for example, was prompt and efficient. Even though there were many people eating, the food came out quick. The meal starts, of course, with chips and salsa as you sit down. The salsa is exceptional, with just enough zest to give it real character. The multi-colored chips are a nice touch, as well (see photo).

For starters, we ordered the Santa Fe salad, which is ample enough to be a meal for one person. The Santa Fe consists of a generous portion of perfectly-seasoned grilled chicken over a bed of greens, avocado, cubed queso, cactus, tomatoes, and peppers (again, see photo).

The highlight of the meal, however, was the molcajete. This is the reason it is worth travelling to eat at Azteca and anyone who has not tried the molcajete has no idea just what this restaurant has to offer.

What’s a molcajete, you ask? Molcajete is a Mexican dish served in a black basalt serving bowl of the same name. Heaped within is a plethora of perfectly-cooked and seasoned delights: Guacamole and chopped onions and tomatoes alongside shrimp, cheese, cactus, grilled onions, a grilled jalapeno, grilled beef, and grilled pork. The picture I've attached only shows the top of this incredible creation, layers of grilled meats and veggies hidden underneath. It fed my wife and I and our six year-old daughter and we took plenty of it home to boot. So, for about $22 it actually is an incredible value in addition to being a unique and wonderful culinary experience.

Overall, I can’t say enough good things about Azteca’s. Check it out, enjoy the live music and, most of all, try the molcajete.

Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

My wife and I went to Azteca on a Friday night a few weeks ago. (I'm from Southern California, grew up on Mexican food, and have found a few in Jersey that aren't bad.) We were very disappointed in the food. I had a combination platter that could have been served up in any college cafeteria. My wife had a bisteka that was dry and chewy. Both were overpriced by 25% or so. The wait staff were young guys, seemed very indifferent about their jobs and were slow in providing service. Someone I presume was the owner/manager was on premises and was very friendly (why the wait staff wasn't better managed is a mystery), and the guitarist who played in a corner had a pleasant singing voice that added nicely to the ambiance (which, despite the average food and lackluster service was not bad), but we won't be going back.

Reviewed 11 August 2015

We were very disappointed with the food. However, the musician/singer for the evening was wonderful.