“A few problems... Entrees delicious”
Review of House of Chong

House of Chong
Ranked #65 of 145 Restaurants in Red Bank
Reviewed January 19, 2017

We arrived for a noontime luncheon about 11:30. The restaurant hours start at 11, however, the place was dark and locked up. A few minutes later some of the staff arrived and opened the door. The restaurant is very pretty with cloth tablecloths even at lunch.
We were a group of 20, so they sat us in the back which was fine. Six people arrived last and there weren't six seats together, so they sat at the next table. They were all settled when the waiter came over and made them move. There were no other customers so we couldn't figure out why they didn't let them sit where they wanted. Later found out that it was because they'd have to put out an extra bowl of noodles and sauces!! Ridiculous!!
The wonton soup arrived cold and the wontons were more than al dente. (probably because they arrived late to open) Enough of the complaints.
The entrees arrived and they were delicious! What we've always come to expect. I had chicken and cashew nuts which is one of my favorites. Their portions are generous and the price can't be beat.
Even though we had a poor start, we all enjoyed ourselves! We will return again!

Reviewed November 20, 2016 via mobile

Once you step into this restaurant you know that you are in an authentic Chinese restaurant. It brings me back to some of those places in New York City that are known for being authentic and real. Stop in for lunch and try one of the specials, I don't care how hungry you are you won't be able to finish it. Aside from the delectable food they have a full bar, that is not something you would expect from a Chinese restaurant off of Route 35 in Middletown but the drinks are good and very decently priced. They have those wonderful house made noodles, the chicken is fresh, duck sauce and hot mustard is housemaid as well. You can't go wrong in this place and it doesn't break the bank. Next time you pass by definitely stop in you will be happy you did.

Reviewed September 13, 2016

If you want real Chinese food with traditional food elements and an atmosphere that simulates being in the country itself, this is the place. It is comfortable, offering excellent service, decent pricing and fully stocked bar for you convenience. Easy access off the Garden State Parkway makes it a enjoyable trip from anywhere. The menu includes Cantonese, mandarine and several more exotic plates from the old world that have come to the USA thanks to a family that started with the parents of the current family. You wouldn't want to miss this one.

Reviewed September 3, 2016

This place has been around for a long time. My mom and I enjoy going here for lunch on the weekends. Their food has not changed in all the years I have been going there. My go to is the chicken and broccoli and my mom loves their sweet and sour chicken. Anything I have ever ordered has always been prepared very well. The service is always very good there. This place is a more upscale Chinese restaurant. Nice place to dine and plenty of seating and a small bar there.

Reviewed December 10, 2015 via mobile

I used to go here probably 35 years ago with my family when they were in Middletown and always remembered special family dinners. They have since moved but it was just as good. My family and I were craving Chinese and I was sick of the typical take out so I remembered the House of Chong and we drove from Tinton Falls. The atmosphere is really nice and upscale and quiet. Food was really good and not too expensive. I remembered the start you with good Chinese noodles that you dip in homemade duck sauce. Really addicting! Kids loved it. I got the combination platter of general tso's chicken was probably the best I've ever had and their fried rice was really good. My wife got the combination platter of moo goo gai pan and that was as good as I remembered it. She loved it too. The kids wanted egg rolls which we all agreed were not the best egg rolls we ever had. They had a weird floral taste but everything else including the egg drop soup was perfect. I highly recommend. I was so upset that I forgot to take pictures of the food to post. Only got s picture of the outside entrance. Enjoy!