“Distinguished Sushi Grade Quality Fish”
Review of Dai-Kichi

Dai-Kichi
Ranked #16 of 219 Restaurants in Montclair
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2016

Dai Kichi has remained my favorite sushi restaurant for many years. You have truly never tasted quality such as this before. In the 15 years that I have been eating at this restaurant I have never once eaten a rotten piece of fish, or had a bad meal.
There are so many delectable and creative sushi rolls on the menu. The tempura is delicately fried, the fish is tender and fresh, the sushi rice (a special preparation is required) is always fluffy and tasty. From the most simplistic roll to the most exotic you will not be disappointed. This place is wonderful for a friendly dinner gathering or family dinner. I would not suggest it for couples simply because there is nothing remotely romantic about the environment. The restaurant is fairly small, the décor is plain and simple but it definitely lacks the romantic feel, however do not get me wrong my boyfriend of 3 years and I had no problem going here especially considering we are both huge foodies, the "romantic" atmosphere was not something we were aiming to find so much as quality.

If you have never been here and you are dining with one other person I would suggest:

Appetizers:
Iga Shoga Yaki (Grilled Squid with Warm Ginger Sauce)
Nasu Dengaku: (Grilled Eggplant with Miso Paste)
Gyoza (Pan Fried Shrimp Dumpling)
And last but not least my absolute FAVORITE* Spicy Tuna Tartar on Wonton Skin

Sushi Deluxe for 2: This allows you and a friend to try a variety of different rolls and really get a taste of the menu, also this comes with miso soup and salad!

To properly finish the meal you must try the fried ice cream! The red bean is my favorite but the green tea is absolutely delicious as well!

This restaurant is a fabulous Montclair treasure and we can thank the owner Aki for making it everything that it is! I will continue to dine here for years to come and I hope you enjoy your experience as well!

1  Thank Alessandra W

Reviewed 2 September 2016

This is by far the best Sushi in Northern NJ. The owner is lovely and the fish is as fresh as you can get. Sit at the sushi bar, the guys behind the counter are wizards!

Reviewed 26 June 2016

Dai-Kichi is one of the best Japanese restaurant. The fish is always fresh, aesthetically served. Unfortunately it has too much salt for people watching their sodium intake.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

Dai-Kichi is a very fun resturaunt, I go there with my family a lot! I really recommend it. They have great service, and delicious food! My favorite meal to get there is chicken yaki-udon! It is delicious noodles, with yummy chicken and veggies, with some sauce. I had lots of fun, and I think that everyone should try it!

Reviewed 24 May 2016

My favorite sushi place. Soft shell crab roll perfect. Service great. Must try highly recommend this restaurant.