“Good and interesting food”
Review of Scala del Nonna

Scala del Nonna
Ranked #13 of 215 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Just excellent food from an extensive menu. Pleasantly and well laid out restaurant. Very busy and a little noisy. Scallops were brilliant, especially as a starter. Their version of chicken cordon bleu also excellent. Generally all starters and mains we had were very good. Not cheap

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Came for birthday celebration. Disorganized staff- mediocre food-- and at last--- attempted to use a GIFT CARD- not a coupon or the like and was told we could only use it certain days. Called over owner/manager and he could not satisfactorily explain why we couldn't use gift card toward a bill of over $250. Horrible attitude. Save your money for better service and food.

7  Thank BethEmilio
Reviewed 13 October 2017

My first time here was a little more than 3 years ago. The restaurant was quite full making the service sub-par. The food was good, but not worth the prices they were charging. I left not feeling wowed like I had been at Fascino just a block away.

Fast forward to October 12, 2017. It was a Thursday evening so I guess that made the crowd more manageable. The service was fantastic. Attentive but not overbearing. When your waiter can call out multiple specials from memory, describing each dish, you know you have arrived at a place that cares about the quality of their product and the service to their patrons.

This time around, the food was incredible. There were 3 of us for dinner, but we wanted to try a few dishes; so we split a couple appetizers. We started with the diver scallop with shiitake mushrooms and butternut squash and the arugula salad with burrata, cherry tomatoes, red onions, roasted red peppers with a balsamic vinaigrette and shaved Parmesan. The scallops were perfectly cooked and well seasoned. The mushrooms and potatoes underneath were flavorful and paired well with the scallops. But the wining component was the butternut squash sauce underneath (more like soup). The arugula salad was lightly dressed and was delicious with the burrata.

Next, 2 of us wanted to try a pasta so we split the porcini and truffle ravioli. The pasta was a perfect al dente and the ravioli wasn't over stuffed. The cream sauce with black truffle mushrooms was phenomenal.

For our main course w ordered the pine nut crusted salmon, the 18oz double-cut pork chop and the 14oz veal chop. All three were served with roasted zucchini and potatoes. The veal chop came with a mushroom and dijon mustard sauce (on the side) which complimented the veal chop very well.

For desert we ordered the tiramisu, the ricotta cheesecake with strawberries and pistachio gelato.

This time around I can say we were wowed. Everything was perfect. Yes, it can be a bit pricey, but if the food and service are at it's best it is worth it. Total cost was just under $200. We ate like kings and still brought some home. We will definitely be returning. Hopefully soon.

2  Thank BenGuzman
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Last night I took my niece to Scala Del Nonna for one of the most amazing dinners either of us have ever had.I have been to scala before and brought her so that she could experience it. As an Italian, it isn't easy to impress me with Italian food. I was so impressed! Their food is so delicious and so unique . We were very grateful to get a table because the restaurant was very busy. The hostess was lovely and she sat us immediately.The service was impeccable. As soon as we sat down our waiter came over immediately and made wonderful suggestions about what we might enjoy. They really treated us like queens! The food just kept coming and one thing was better than the next! We had this warm walnut tart with gelato that was to die for. What a perfect way to end such a wonderful evening!

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We have been to Scala del Nonna several times and the food is excellent, but the service has never been great. We continued to go because the food is great. Last night was our worst experience ever. We were eight people and had a 7 o'clock reservation. One couple arrived late and they were gracious about it. Our server took our order and the appetizers came out in a timely fashion. Our dinners, however were delivered at 9:10 over an hour after they were ordered. The worst part was that no one came over and checked or said anything. When I complained to the server, she said she would tell management that we were unhappy. The hostess/manager came over and argued with us. She insisted that it was timed perfectly and we were mistaken. I was shocked that instead of saying they were busy or something polite, she was insistent that I was wrong.
As much as we enjoy the food, service is just as important. There are many good restaurants that also treat their customers well. It's sad that this happened.

3  Thank educatedtraveler98