“The Perfect Sunday Brunch”
Review of Uncle Momo

Uncle Momo
Ranked #25 of 219 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Every Sunday after church in Montclair, we use to look for a quiet place with good food to eat. One Sunday, while walking down Bloomfield Ave, we came across Uncle Momo's. It wasn't to crowded and when our food arrived we knew we'd found what we were looking for. My wife had the Momo's Breakfast and I had the Eggs Nantua. The portions were just right, the eggs were light and fluffy and the micro salad cleansed your palate throughout the meal. It's become one of our favorite breakfast spots. Ummmm!

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely meal here and throughly enjoyed everything we ordered. The lamb tagine was packed with flavours and the branzino was delicious. The service was a little off, no one checked back to see if we were enjoying our meals and we waited so long for the check we went up to the desk. Otherwise a great find and we will be back for sure to try the brunch menu!

Reviewed 19 September 2017

If you're a fan of Middle-Eastern cooking, Uncle Momo is a worthwhile stop on the road to Beirut, Marrakesh, or even Damascus. Lebanese food with a flavor of France, plated and served with elan, if not panache. We ran out of panache early, but the man from Uncle kept the panache basket filled, and the water glasses filled. The Moussaka with lamb was quite delicious, although the cubes of eggplant could have used a few more minutes in the oven to soften the skin a bit. Still, the flavors blended wonderfully and I wish there had been more to glom from my wife's plate.

My Kefta was a bit dry and overcooked and under-spiced for my taste. I love the Kufta at Toros in Clifton and at that place in Istanbul, but maybe this is the Lebanese way: like little lamb meatballs arranged in a circle on a plate of some tomato-ish sauce. Not too exciting and I will try one of the Tagine dishes next time. Our friends split some fish, which looked quite presentable and was fabulous. We started by sharing a Mezze, with Rahib, Hummus, Labne, Babagannouj, and Moujadara. A great way to get in the mood, although the dollops were a bit strained for a group of four. Our meal was made even more pleasant by a bottle of wine I had bought back from my last trip to Morocco: a 2008 Chateay Roslane, Premiere Cru from Meknes in the Atlas Mountains. Unfortunately not available in the US of A.

Momo is everybody's uncle, so stop by in the early evening, and bring a good bottle of wine. You'll leave fat and happy.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

We're local and have been here maybe 25 times or more. The food here is very fresh and delicious. Great funky chill-out techno music **lightly** in the background. You can watch them make the pita bread from your table. We've come here for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it never disappoints.

Staff are totally friendly and very competent. On occasion they may forget to come by but the place isn't large so they're never too far away. If you haven't been here, you definitely should go. I've taken friends, parents, out of towners, everyone here and it's always a hit. And the male waiter with tattoos is rather handsome.

Insider tip: at weekend brunch there is a line out the door for the neighboring and well know restaurant "Toast". Well, those folks are waiting in line for good standard menu brunch food when they could stroll right in to Momo's and have a great brunch food without the wait and for a wee bit less money.

Insider tip#2: If they aren't super busy, they will make you Turkish coffee. And they make it well. I doubt the sheep standing inline at "Toast" even know what Turkish coffee is or have even heard of Tajine.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

A small, inviting and reasonably price Lebanese French bistro.

We started with two cold apps: Rahib (Grilled eggplant with red bell pepper, onion and Mint) and Foul (Fava beans with tomato, parsley & garlic).

Entrees were Baked Norwegian Salmon Olive & Pistachio Crust, Served with Spinach & Basmati rice and Moussaka Veggie (Eggplant, tomato and chickpea Lebanese style casserole).

The food good but nothing extraordinary.
The baklawa I had for dessert was tiny and dry but perhaps the norm for the area and at only $3.75 I wasn't complaining.

The biggest issue here is the service which presented an opportunity for improvement. We were seated and served by a man that appeared to be the owner who was not a much of an accommodating host or server. When he took our order, he did not offer us anything to drink. After an unreasonable period of time, I had to ask for a glass for my beer. Most bizarre was after we finished our appetizers, we had stacked the used plates and utensils together in the center of the table. That presented a problem when he came to the table to clear the plates because apparently he did not intend on giving us new forks for our entrees. So what did he do? He simply took the dirty forks from the middle of the table and gave them back to each of us without any idea which belonged to who. Maybe they did not have enough forks to go around that night, I don't know...
Add all of that to his lack of personality and hospitality and you end up leaving feeling unappreciated for the money you just spent on an average meal. Kind of a puts a damper on what would have been an otherwise nice evening.

So overall, the food was just OK and it was reasonable, but I do not intend to come back unless there is a significant improvement in hospitality. To me, that should be the easiest thing to fix... but if he is unable to change, than he should consider a different line of work or just hide in the kitchen and hire a waitstaff to take care of the customers.