“Great fresh sushi”

Add it.
Wasabi House
Ranked #19 of 80 Restaurants in Matawan
Reviewed 3 August 2015

It dont look like much from the outside, but once you get your sushi you will be impressed. Wait staff is always very nice and pleasant. Interior is very clean. Takes forever to get your food but the wait is well worth it.
Family of 4 with a tip was $150

Reviewed 17 July 2015 via mobile

The sushi is good even if from outside look old... The service is good... The price ain't bad....I gave four of fift star.

Reviewed 22 May 2015

Wasabi house has wonderful fresh sushi and I is one of the best around. We have been to sushi restaurants all over the country and the one close to home really is great. Not much for atmosphere and it can get packed up at times. We love that is byob, always saves a little on the bill that way. Their wasabi salad is great with crab, tempura shrimp lettuce and spicy mayo. They have great bento box lunch specials that run till 3:00 and would surely fill you up as well. Just an overall great spot.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Was craving sushi with the inlaws and stumbled upon this place.

ATMOSPHERE (C-) The place is dark and dingy. Dull carpeting encompasses the fairly large space. The lingering undertones of mildew mixed with stale air definitely takes away from the dining experience. Decorations are limited to a few Geisha dolls scattered about the room. A lot of the fixtures were kinda dusty. We went in January and were freezing for most of the meal, as no one had remembered to put on the heat. It isn't the worst place to eat at, but it sure needs improvement.

SERVICE (C) We pulled in at around 11:05, not sure if they were open yet. Checked out the hours on the front door and saw that they opened at 11:00 that day. Tried the door, ..locked. We stayed in our car for another 5 min, (11:10), and tried again- locked and very much dark inside. We called the restaurant. A guy picked up saying that they were open. We replied, "Oh great, can you let us in then?" Our would-be waiter let us in out of the cold, seeming somewhat put out and quiet as he began turning on lights inside. When it came time for lunch service, he took our orders efficiently and was actually somewhat accommodative, though very much on the quiet side. Most of our family ordered hot meals, I ordered sushi along with another family member. The hot food came out in good time, but the sushi came out 15 minutes following! I understand that it's tricky to coordinate the two kinds of lunches, but that amount of time was unacceptable! We insisted that everyone else begin eating, and pretty much watched them finish their plates just as our sushi came in. No apologies from our waiter.

FOOD (B+) The fish was rather fresh, actually. And the rolls are made well. I ordered the Sashimi Combo platter and felt that it was a perfectly sized lunch. Pretty presentation as well. I tried a bit of the Yaki-Udon and really enjoyed it! There were only a few minor issues. On one of the rolls, the avocado was looking a little dull, not as fresh as it could be, and the rolls could have been dressed up a little more creatively, (so to at least set themselves apart from every other sushi joint in Jersey). Also, I had to request more ginger, as I hardly got enough for all of my sashimi. The tempura was okay, nothing really special to eat.

VALUE (B) This place is quite inexpensive, particularly for lunch. And considering the sushi is fresh, I'd say it's worth it. I'm just wanting so much more from the Decor and Service! We would eat there much more often if only the dining experience were more pleasant- A brighter, cleaner space with more friendly, personable staff that can coordinate the delivery of hot dishes with sushi.

2  Thank ShadOcat

Been to Wasabi House? Share your experiences!