“Authentic Portuguese Dishes done right”

Mediterranean Chateau
Ranked #9 of 78 Restaurants in Matawan
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2015

To my surprise and delight, I had the opportunity to try Mediterranean Chateau this Saturday. The place was packed and we had reservations for 11. We waited about 25 minutes and then go seated.

Bottom line: simple, flavorful Portuguese dishes at a great value. I started with the Kale Soup, it had the right amount of broth, veggies and starch. Great for cold winter nights but not too heavy.

For dinner, I had the Chicken Portuguese style. THe serving is HUGE so you can definitely share with 1 or 2 more people.

I also tasted the stuffed founder. It was meaty, flaky and really good.

Their house sangria is also a must.

Overall, great time with friends and good food.

1  Thank Joseph A

Reviewed February 18, 2015

A good and convenient addition to Matawan if you like classic Portuguese cuisine but the quality is just average and not up to what we are used to in Newark which has so many quality Portuguese restaurants.

Reviewed January 9, 2015 via mobile

Went with six other people and either the waitstaff was new or overwhelmed out appetizers were good similar to what you get in Newark restaurants dinner was ok I had seafood paella and it was more rice than seafood all of us had drinks the sangria was good desserts were typical. Maybe would try again but if I wanted better I would go to fernandos

2  Thank ejhja
Reviewed December 22, 2014

I've eaten here several times and it's always good- Portuguese menu. Lots of seafood and other specialties. The staff is good and attentive but not to the point where you're bothered (as it is in many restaurants today.

Reviewed December 3, 2014

Food just ok, pricey and menu is sparse. The first time we dined at this restaurant with a Groupon promo. It was disappointing; the second time we had friends visiting from out of state. They really wanted to try the food. We decided to give it a second try and we were all disappointed with the food and service. Had much better Portugese food in South River.
Service was slow on both visits to Mediterranean Chateau.

1  Thank mediamutts

Been to Mediterranean Chateau? Share your experiences!