“Most Popular Restaurant on a Bad Night”

Arturos Osteria & Pizzeria
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Maplewood
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 4 April 2018

With lines outside every night and the most popular dining spot in town, it was close to the end of the evening and the food felt like that. The pizza wasn't that hot and mostly burnt singes on both sides with the smallest (and fewest) pepperoni on the planet. Surprisingly, the best part was the salads. Salad could make a meal and was very fresh.It's a BYOB but still on the pricey side. Guess we came on an off night.

1  Thank rockd85

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

This review is not about the dining experience at this establishment. Instead about the owner/manager and staff’s humanity to fellow humans. Before the scheduled restaurant opening time one of our party had a personal “event” requiring a restroom emergency. The restaurant staff and owner were clearly in full swing preparing for the daily restaurant opening but still graciously allowed our member to use the restroom without hesitation. We are eternally grateful for Arturo’s generosity and humanity under the circumstances and although we have dined there in the past and it was delicious (could not stay today you understand) we will forever return to Arturo’s as often as possible.

3  Thank Carl F
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I know that it’s almost sacrilege to criticize Arturo’s, however there are several serious problems that we tried to overlook on four visits. Yes - the wait is famous- but it’s workable- just go and browse in the bookstore across the street . However once you are seated, the wait staff is very keen on clearing your plate- I suppose the intent is to hustle you out to let the next part in. I objected strenuously the first time, and the second, by the third I realized that this is policy , and I told the poor buss person to go away . If you can get beyond that, the pasta dishes are very good, but the pasta itself is dull. The pizza dough in my opinion is also not very good. Again dull for some reason. So go to Arturo’s but manage your expectations.

1  Thank painter04646
Reviewed 3 March 2018

This place is always busy & is a favorite with families in Maplewood & South Orange. My wife & I ate there last summer and it was fresh individual fresh pizza but thought it was a bit pricey for dough, sauce & mushrooms. The menu is set & limited so we have not been back but I must say that everytime I drive by there’s always a crowd.

1  Thank ezyrider123
Reviewed 1 March 2018

I live about 25 minutes away and all I ever hear about is Arturo's and how good it is. We decided to try at lunch since we've been warned about the waits for dinner. We started with the meatballs, which everyone raves about. I was skeptical as I consider myself a meatball snob and these were the best I've ever had. SO good!! Everything we ordered was fresh and delicious. Not my favorite pizza, but pretty close. There are so many other things on the menu that I'd love to try. No wonder people drive 45 minutes to come here for take out. Probably the best Italian food in NJ!

1  Thank santaluvsme