“New and Delicious”

Sun, 20/06
20:00
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Reviewed 11 October 2020

Tonight we went out with our friends to Donatella's. We never visited it and we found they opened only a year ago. It took a 5 minute wait to get seated at which point we were shown to our table. It took another few minutes to finish setting the table up. We wanted to order a wine bottle and Alessandro who took our order suggested an Amarone. We took his recommendation and were happy we did, the Amarone was delicious. For appetizers we ordered the Minestrone, Salad, Tuna Tartar and stuffed artichoke. All were delicious and the I really enjoyed the Minestrone.
For entrees, I had the Veal Mushroom. The veal was thin and the sauce was delicious. We also ordered the Risotto, which was a mushroom Risotto. The Risotto was was of the better Risotto's I had at a restaurat and was well seasoned. Our friends had the seafood pasta and fillet. They said both were delicious and the fillet was cooked to perfection.
Service was not perfect, but was compensated by the great hospitality of Alessandro. It was a pleasure to be hosted by him and he made sure we had a great time.
We'll definitely be back.

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank HighTechTraveller
Write a reviewReviews (22)

Reviewed 11 October 2020 via mobile

Upon arrival we were promptly seated. We were a party of 3 and were seated at a table for 4, where the bus boy removed two place settings. He was gone in a flash so we needed to flag down another bus boy to get one place setting back. After sitting for 20+ minutes, we had to ask the hostess for our waiter as we hadn't even been offered a drink yet! The manager came and finally took our drink order with no apology. Our appetizer and dinner came out out fine. In ordering the second round, they made a mistake on one of the drinks, which we decided not to complain about as we could see they were having problems. We ordered dessert, one was correct the other was wrong and the third one was completely forgotten! When the bill came, my Side Car ($10) was charged at $13 as a Martini just because I asked it be served in a Martini glass! A $3 upcharge for a glass? There were numerous other small misses not worth mentioning. At the very least they could of comped us a round of drinks or dessert, but nothing!

We will never be going back!

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank 408tomb
Reviewed 17 July 2020

We were driving by from New City and saw this restaurant in Old Tappan we did a u-turn and it was a memory on its own,beautiful view excellent food, good portions very flavorful,prices seemed fair, kudos to the ownership seemed they do care for their patrons,I loved it everything about this place,food was really really good an amazing we are definitely going back again.

Reviewed 17 July 2020

This is our 2nd time and food,was amazing so the service was an impeccable attention to everything definitely going back the outdoor seating looked high end resort type of thing with black and white umbrellas,shade triangles on top and automatic spinning fans hanged in the trees,I wonder whose the designer,got some talent, can tell you that much.

Reviewed 4 July 2020

Alright, so I am a very easy to please person especially when it comes to food. However, attitude is everything when you own a business and if your staff has a crap attitude, then the food is automatically spoiled for me. This was my experience for a take out order at Donatell'a tonight. I ordered a fried calamari appetizer, a chicken parm dinner w/ spaghetti on side, and penne vodka w/shrimp ( I understand the shrimp is an add on, more on this later...) I was told 30 minutes on the phone and so that's when I came. I walked in and the nice blonde girl behind the bar greeted me warmly and asked if she could help me. I told her I was picking up a take out order and noted a brown take out bag on her counter, I walked
over to it assuming it was mine (I didn't touch it though). The manager (Angelo M it said on my receipt) then appeared and asked if I needed help. I said I was here for my take out order, and he was immediately brusque. He replied with "Which one?? We have a lot of take out orders...." Already turned off, I rattled off my order. Perhaps they should take NAMES on the phone so they don't have to be so confused. Anyway, he looked confused and went to the kitchen. He came back out and then told me the food would be out in a minute, which is fine, however it was more like 15 minutes I was waiting. He kept popping out of the kitchen telling me ( 2 minutes more, 2 minutes more...) In that time period, about 4 other staff members came out to excitedly greet me (the only person in there), but whatever. Nice greeters don't make up for lousy service. Instead of greeting the same person 900 times, why don't you help your kitchen staff and make sure things are running smoothly back there. The nice bartender offered me some water while I waited, and then apologized for her manager's attitude. In the meantime he rang my order up and showed me the price, $93!!!??? Figuring I was just at an overly expensive restaurant, I paid. I ended up asking him for an itemized receipt and not just the credit card copy. He looked all frazzled and got attitude saying he doesn't know if he can get it back up in the system. He did and that's when I noticed I had 2 up-charges, one for the side of spaghetti and one for the shrimp in the vodka sauce. I totally understand up-charges, but at $12 and $30 respectively?? You heard that right....$12 for a side of spaghetti marinara and $30 for 6 stupid shrimp. Absolute robbery. I should have questioned it there but I looked it over quickly and figured I may have overlooked something. I was hungry and have been waiting over 20 minutes by now. The food finally came out and he handed me a bag with one entree in it. I asked where the rest of my order was. He pointed to that bag that was sitting on the bar from when I walked in. He said "Here! Here! It's all in there!" Nice and cold, yay! I said to him "Well you never told me this was mine when I first walked in...you asked what my order was." I mean afterall, he had "sooo many takeout orders and didn't know which one was mine" right? At this point I wanted to throw the bags back at him and leave but I already paid. I asked if it was all in there and he rifled thru the bag saying that it was all there and even mentioned the items I ordered as he picked each package up. I left and double checked my food in the car. No fried calamari. I was not walking back in, so I called and said they missed my appetizer and I would like them to walk it out to me. They apologized (again) and said they would "make it right now, the kitchen didn't make it." Don't blame your kitchen staff. Owner and manager should be double checking things, that is part of YOUR job as you oversee YOUR employees. It's so sh*tty when you blame your staff. Anyway, a different person came out to me with the calamari and profusely apologized (owner maybe?). I was annoyed the guy I had been dealing with the entire time did not come out to my car, which makes him even more annoying in my book. The food was so-so, but it's no Dino's! Dino's was an amazing place with amazing servers, a wonderful owner, and cozy atmosphere. This place gives off a cold vibe, a staff that is rushed, harried, and snarky. I am not expecting much of a nice comment from the owner, as I noticed that he generally has snarky replies to people who give him lousy reviews and tries to justify his crappy service by saying "we were busy". Guess what? When you own a restaurant, expect it to get busy. That does not excuse terrible service or attitude. If that's how you operate perhaps restaurant ownership isn't for you. Attached is a picture of my receipt to show the ridiculous price that I paid.Wild horses couldn't bring me back to this place, never again!

2  Thank StormieIV