“Enjoyable first visit ”

Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Perry Street
Description: The Blue Pig Tavern serves American cuisine-nostalgic, simple and fresh. Executive Chef Jeremy Einhorn has implemented a delicious farm-to-table menu featuring fresh produce, herbs and eggs from our very own Beach Plum Farm, located less than 2 miles from the restaurant! In the warmer months, dine on our wonderful, secluded patio. In the cooler months, cozy up to our magnificent dining room fireplace. The Blue Pig Tavern drives its name from a gambling parlor sited at Congress Hall in the mid 1800's. Earlier still, in the 1700s, Elias Hughes operated a tavern for whalers on this site. It was the first tavern in Cape May.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This was our first time to the Blue Pig Tavern. Prior to our meal, we enjoyed a cocktail from the outdoor bar and sat on the lawn, utilizing the Adirondack chairs, soaking in the sun...wonderful!!
The Blue Pig tavern has a very nice ambiance upon entering...we sat at a corner table on the porch and it was perfect. Our server, Alexa, was attentive and very helpful in making recommendations. We started with the grilled octopus and it was a delicious surprise! Loved the varying items contained in this appetizer- highly recommend.
I had the scallops and thoroughly enjoyed. My husband had the meat loaf and found it to be a bit disappointing...flavor was good but meat was “ground up” and not to his liking (he prefers a more “chunky” meat consistency). Overall, the only reason we didn’t give 5 stars.
Tried the angel food cake for dessert along with espresso and cafe mocha to round it all out. Very nice finish to our meal.
Side note- bathrooms are located downstairs- came across “The Boiler Room”- a pizza, salad and beer space- looked so cool! Was opening the following week...also came across 2 telephone booths in this space as well! Excellent throwback!
Congress Hall is beautiful...take in this space and try the Blue Pig Tavern.

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,644)

Reviewed 5 April 2021

Ordered New England clam chowder arrived at the table on the cool side, waited 10 minutes for a spoon from another server. Ordered the scallops, they also came out below room temperature. My husband's meatloaf did arrive hot. Ordered coffee, again, waited another 10 minutes for spoons. Apparently you are suppose to get a basket of bread, our table did not receive a bread basket. Needless to say we would never recommend the Blue Pig.

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank 818clared
Reviewed 26 December 2020

We went for a Christmas dinner and I really wanted to like this place. Ambiance is nice, and they had good social distancing and covid-friendly measures, but we had a waitress who didn't seem very suited for the hospitality industry.

I realized the importance of service people through this experience - they really are ambassadors to the restaurant and their manners, politeness, knowledge and energy play a huge part in how many stars I give a restaurant.

Unfortunately, she made us feel like we were slowing down her rushed life. There was no warmth or consideration whatsoever.

We had experienced that many places in Cape May had BYOB (bring your own beverage) policy, so we brought our own wine. We asked the host at the front desk, and he said it was fine. The waitress however, wanted to charge us a cork fee, and when we brought up what the host said, she seemed dismayed.

Moreover, she took away our utensils in her haste, while my husband was obviously still eating.

I ordered a beet salad, my husband ordered a chicken noodle soup for appetizer, as it was very cold out. The soup was cold, and it might as well have been flavored water. We asked for a hot soup, and the waitress brought it - literally dropped it off as she was upset and never apologized.

I ordered salmon and it was ok. For dessert I ordered egg nog pana cotta. It was ok too - it did not taste fresh.

I would say this restaurant benefits from being in the historic Congress Hall, and being one of the only restaurants open on Christmas.

But the food cannot stand on its own. It could use a major menu makeover by a good chef, and proper training of its waiting staff - a little graciousness goes a long way in the hospitality industry!

Cape May has a ton of great restaurants, and I would not recommend this place for food or service. I had high hope for this place, and it was a disappointing experience.

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank Mariko H
Reviewed 30 November 2020

I love the ambiance of the Blue Pig. I am a local and it's a favorite spot for my daughter and I to meet for lunch. The food is excellent and Natasha, our server, is kind and friendly. We love chatting with her, in addition to having a delicious lunch in a perfect setting!

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank Beach1613
Reviewed 26 November 2020 via mobile

Always a good experience at Blue Pig! The drinks are fun and the food is yummy and the hotel (Congress Hall) is elegant and full of history.

Date of visit: January 2020