“Birthday Dinner was Wonderful”

Taverne on the Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Taverne on the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 46 Restaurants in Claremont
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Description: The Taverne is situated in the Oscar Brown Block Building on the corner of Pleasant Street and Opera House Square in beautiful downtown Claremont, New Hampshire. Stemming from the owners’ French roots, Taverne on the Square has a comfortable and inviting ambiance treating patrons to a real French Taverne visit offering a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere for dining, visiting with friends, sitting at the bar for an enjoyable drink or to listen to live music on Friday and Saturday nights. The full bar has a multitude of craft beers on tap, as well as martini’s, cocktails, the best tasting margarita’s around, wonderful wines and a nice variety of liqueurs. We know you will enjoy the incredible Franco American cuisine which is prepared daily with fresh ingredients (some of it from local businesses). Pair your meal with a beverage of your choice and finish with one of our phenomenal deserts. Viva La Variété!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friend and I ate there for my birthday dinner. The french onion soup was really loaded with onions and melty/stretchy cheese.
The maple salmon with rice and squash was very good.
Tiramisu shared dessert was lovely.
I asked for a Hemingway Daiquiri (my new favorite drink) they didn't have all the ingredients but made a valiant effort. It was quite good.

1  Thank Nancy N

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stopped in for drinks. Ericka was superb as a bartender and hostess. She answered all our questions and even gave us a complementary dish that had been accidentally made by the chef. The food was excellent.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We ate here as a party of 9 for a friends birthday and every one of us was incredibly disappointed in the quality of the food! I had special of pulled pork shepards pie, description sounded great as it was covered in mashed potatoes and smothered in melted cheese. Well whoever made it did not read the description they were given! A pike if dried up veggies and pork was plopped to the side of the plate with another pile of congealed dry mashed potatoes sat next to it. I couldn't find the melted cheese until I realized it was the dried up burnt crusty crunch. It was absolutely lousy!! My friend's salmon was puny, thin and overcooked with a side of dried up rice and a plop of sweet potatoes. Another friend got the shrimp salad complete with RAW shrimp on top that had to be sent back. My granddaughter ordered the kids sliders and immediately complained to me that she could not eat them as the burgers were crunchy! I looked and they were charcoal black on the edges! This was the third bad experience here and I honestly don't know why we keep comi by back, but my entire group decided we've had enough. We are NEVER going back again. Hire a new cook...

1  Thank zicheryzachery1
Reviewed February 5, 2018 via mobile

The hubs and I enjoyed sharing a plate of wings and a burger. It was a nice experience at the bar. Becoming a staple in our favorite spots!

Reviewed January 21, 2018 via mobile

I read a lot of the reviews and was excited to try your restaurant. Appitizers were good although egg rolls were not hot. We ordered brisket which could have a lot more tender, also the shrimp and chicken marsala. Entrees were ok, but not wonderful. Wine list disappointing. Doug was very helpful and attentive.I'm in the business myself and I like to give an accurate review in order to help the restaurant.