All reviews close to downtown caras park free breakfast stay there again hash browns morning breakfast comfortable beds waffles gal montana microwave convenience university
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

We check in on Wednesday around 4:00. We had asked for a king bed for 1 night. When we got in the room it was dark inside and the window curtain wouldn’t open. It was stuck and when I wiggled it to open it, a bunch of dust fell all around. We were anxious to go to visit our sons , so tried to call the front desk to get them to fix it while we were visiting. They didn’t answer the phone so I went down and ask them about it. They said they would send a maintenance guy up to look at it. We waited about 10 min and decided it would be faster to move next door. I went back down and suggested we just move ( I didn’t want them to get the place all full of dust fixing it). She said she didn’t know I was in a hurry so sure we could change rooms. We didn’t go to the new room. We took our stuff and got back in the car to go visit. When we got back we entered the new room and it had a queen bed and a small old space heater, and a portable air conditioner with a big duct hose that had to be vented out the window. These took up the first 1/3 of the room. What? We turned off the heater as it was Aug and turned on the air conditioner which made a soft noise until it started making a very loud noise that it kept alternating all night. There was a window unit but it was broken. The accommodations were very mediocre but I didn’t want to complain again. We won’t stay there again.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ctealc
Reviewed 23 August 2018

... this minnow would be LOST.

If you don’t understand the title of my review, you may actually think this Motel is cool.
It’s not. But it could be. It was a great idea and Red Lion, with its modern aesthetic should have been up to the job.

The fearless crew I’m referring to are the men and women who do all the work around this place. They are kind, helpful and receptive. They’re also burnt out and it shows. The turnover is high and they are hopping a lot of the time. But with the decision maker(s) they have in place, these (mostly) young people don’t stand a chance.

Clearly RLH bought this property and its contents for a song. They did a quick cosmetic job on the lobby. Some red painted trim, campy furniture and signage cemented the look.That’s it.

The rooms are literally disgusting. They spent some big money on granite counter tops (unfathomable considering what they didn’t do?!) The rooms are so shabby, run down and old that it’s impossible to clean the wear and tear with this level of negligence. Clearly they have no authority to spend a dime.

The following points *must* be addressed before you should even consider staying here:

- Rooms must be cleaned EVERY day. We stayed 4 days and our room was never cleaned. Our garbage was emptied on day 2 and that was it!
- Carpeting must be professionally deep cleaned. Everywhere. My 6 year old walked from the front door to the bathroom and his feet were already filthy. (See photo).
- The showers must be redone. Ours was like a 1970’s locker room, with the smell to match. (See photo).
- The pathways to the rooms must be pressure washed. They’re absolutely filthy. No wonder the carpets in the rooms are so horrendous. (See photo)
- Pest control must be hired to get rid of the intollerable wasp problem. You have to run, flailing your arms, from your door to your car. Wasps got into our room, our car, and swarmed us at the pool when our family tried to enjoy some crackers and cheese seated around the table there.
- The pool and hot tub must be addressed. The pool man was here one day to shock it because of heavy algae. The next day there were 2 guys cleaning it for hours. And yet when we got there to swim the bottom had a lot of dark sand like dirt. The pool guys, again, don’t have any hope of making the pool look good with the existing equipment. (See photo)
- The hot tub is clearly out of order. I was surprised to even see one. If it’s a nightmare (which I suspect) and they have no plans to restore it, they should fill it in like a planter, add some shrubs and be done with it. It’s a giant, unsightly mess that you are greeted with first thing upon entering the pool area. (See photo)

There are several things that could be done which would significantly improve the experience for guests. To be blunt, they would make us feel like RLH cares and wants us back.

- Replace all the beige, tobacco saturated plate switch covers and outlet covers with white ones. (See photo).
- New wallpaper. Come on guys, this is basic. The tears and patches everywhere look so awful. (See photo).
- There is a feeling that the staff is left to their own devices. Why is there no name where it says “Manager on Duty?” Who is supporting them and taking responsibility when issues arise?
- Why is the door to the housekeepers’ area left open all the time? It’s very messy and bad looking. Not only do you get an eyeful when getting ice, but all the way down the corridor. Does not give an impression of professionalism at all. (See photo).

Now, because I’m fair:
- Ladies at the front desk are helpful and pleasant. How much more can they do to keep this company afloat?
- Again, the staff were all very friendly, willing to assist. I left a note on our blanket that said “bed is fine.” Housekeeping saw me later and said “i saw your note and wasn’t sure what you wanted me to do.” She empties the garbage and replaced the toiletries. Under trained? Sure. Underpaid? Most certainly.
- Breakfast surpassed expectations. It’s the typical Hampton or Holiday Inn fare with the fake eggs, waffles/pancakes and lots of carbs. But after experiencing our rooms, my expectations were running towards dread. It was not bad at all.
- I liked the bath products a lot. The smelled good and didn’t feel like I was washing with cheap hospital soap like some places.
- The beds are extremely comfortable and crisp white. The cleaning staff does take pride in doing what they can where it will show. I didn’t hear a vaccuum or smell any cleaner/soap the entire time I was here. Their hands have been tied.
- The a/c units were older but they worked well.

I sincerely hope that the RLH group takes my suggestions to heart. I’m not finicky and I’m not a snob. But I am entitled to feel like the people I’m paying to provide my family with shelter care, not only about our health and safety, but also our comfort. And I feel like just because someone doesn’t have a lot of money doesn’t mean they deserve filth. That’s where RLH falls alarmingly short.

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank AlyssaSaturley
Reviewed 21 August 2018

My stay at this motel has reminded me of the importance of reading the recent negative reviews, to see whether certain themes are repeated again and again. Sadly, I did not do this when booking my room, and that was a mistake. Had I done so, I would have seen the many complaints about the dirtiness and disrepair of the property, the seeming indifference of the staff, and the way reservation details can change between the time of booking and your arrival. Management response to those negative reviews was frequently “we are under new management and those issues are being addressed.” I can report that as of August 21, I see absolutely no evidence that anyone is addressing any of those issues. The building has been repainted to make it look good in the website photo, but the corridors and stairwells are filthy, trash is piled high in outdoor trash cans that never seem to be emptied, the pool and spa are out of service, and there are numerous other unaddressed maintenance issues. I booked my room here specifically because the property has an outdoor pool, and I specifically booked a room with a view of the pool. When I arrived, there was no record of this little booking detail, but it hardly mattered because there were so many much more serious problems, like a leaky rain gutter pouring water onto the sidewalk in front of our door, which was seeping under the door and into the carpeting. The door appeared to have recently been kicked in, with only temporary repairs having been made: the lockset was still loose in the door, and daubs of paint covered repairs to the door and frame. And about that swimming pool: at check-in I saw a sign at the desk that said “Pool Closed. Sorry for the inconvenience.” When I inquired, I was told that “you can’t let people swim when it’s raining; the children could slip and hurt themselves on the wet deck. Maybe it will stop raining soon and then we can re-open the pool.” In fact, it stopped raining within the hour, but the pool never opened, either that evening or the next morning, in spite of the deck being completely dry. The spa is another matter entirely: it is empty, with tarps and debris laying inside, so not having a room overlooking that mess turned out to be a good thing. In the first room I was given, besides the wet carpet and broken latch, while a relatively new heat/AC unit had been installed, the old one had never been taken out. The day was cool, so I turned on the heat, only to discover that heat controls were broken. A dirty washcloth was left on the dresser. I asked for a new room, and was given a second-floor room with a broken dresser and no soap in the bath. But at least the heater worked! In both rooms, dresser looks like a piece from a garage sale: dents, chips, etc. And, as if to provide ludicrous punctuation to all the other more serious problems, the "Café2Go" featured on the motel website under “Dining” appears to be nothing more than a display of canned beverages for sale in the lobby. It’s a fitting metaphor for the epidemic of false promises made by this operation.

Room Tip: My advice is to choose a room in a different motel.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doug C
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Thought Red Lion would be a good option for staying overnight in Missoula. Upon arriving and checking in at front desk, I asked about the restroom and clerk sent me upstairs. The stairs were covered in stains and dirt, the restroom had paper towels thrown on the floor and as I came back down, I asked my husband if we should stay here as the hotel was very dirty. We decided to look at our room and then make a decision. Well, that did it, the door would barely latch, the room had an odor, and it appeared the carpet had not been cleaned in a very long time. We CANCELLED our reservation and thankfully got a room at The Hilton Garden Inn. Red Lion CORPORATE will be notified of the condition of this hotel.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shealah C
Reviewed 20 August 2018

We had reserved a room for a couple of nights and required Internet access for work. When we arrived, they had been having problems with their broadband service and we decided to change hotels. The manager understood and gave us a full refund. While we were slightly inconvenienced, we understand that stuff happens and these folks did the right thing. We appreciate that.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business