“Wonderful coffee experience!”

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Fredonia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My friends and I (approx. 20 of us total) spent a lovely day at La Cima. Don Octavio, doña Rubiela, and don Humberto were wonderful. Many of my friends are saying that visiting La Cima was their favorite part of visiting Colombia (we toured the country for 10 days). I sent some of La Cima’s coffee to my boss, who is passionate about coffee, and he loved it.

All reviews
"appreciation"
"plantation"
"producers"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

How can you rate this place less than 5 stars?? Probably why there ARE no reviews currently with less than 5.

This tour really gives you an in-depth look at the coffee production process from start to finish. They are knowledgeable, and you can tell very passionate about what they do. I have a new found appreciation when I go to sip coffee moving forward. The hours of labor that's involved just for those few seconds on the tongue. It's crazy. I brought a bag of coffee beans back with me. Was around $15 USD. Great price. Such a fun day tour. Lunch was delicious.

Tips: Use TONS of bug spray. I got eaten up on my feet and ankles but was safe from the other parts of my body where I used the spray.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This tour was absolutely amazing. If you are only able to do one thing while you're in Medellin/ surrounding area, I would recommend that this be it.

The coffee tour to Café de la Cima was by far one of the most educational and worthwhile experiences I have had during my travels. We booked our tour through the Toucan Café on Calle 10.

Itinerary:
Met at Toucan Café for pick up. There were about 8 of us including the tour guide and driver. It took about 1 1/2 - 2hrs to get to the coffee farm. We took an air conditioned van and the views were beautiful. The roads very bumpy but that comes along with driving through the mountains.

Arrived at the Café de la Cima. We were happily greeted by our hosts at Café de la Cima a family owned coffee plantation. Everyone was very friendly and extremely hospitable. We were given a small overview of the coffee plant from fruit to roasted bean and then provided a traditional Colombian breakfast; Arepa and Cheese and coffee of course (one of the best Arepa's I tried while there).

After breakfast we made our way around the plantation. Our guide and hosts explained every part of the coffee growing process. We started with the actual planting of the bean to develop small plants to when the larger plants were planted into the soil up on the mountain. What I loved most was that the farm did not waste anything in the process and all byproducts were used for something. We were taught how to pick coffee fruits from the tree (MUCH harder than you'd expect) and what was considered a good fruit. What I found interesting was that all the coffee in this region has to be hand picked because of the terrain.

After some picking and making our way to the top of the mountain, we learned what unique devices the farm had for delivering the coffee back to the house (genius) and how the farm differed from larger conglomerate coffee producers. It'll make you second guess your next Starbucks purchase.

Lunch: Made by the family at the farm - very delicious and authentic!

After lunch we learned about the roasting process and had a coffee tasting. This was my favorite part. We learned about how the farm inspects the beans and what we should expect to taste and see in good coffee. We also had the opportunity to buy some coffee and my only regret is that I did not buy more!

Thanks Café de la Cima for such a wonderful experience!

CAFEDELACIMA F, Gerente at Cafe de la Cima, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

From all the Cafe de la Cima team, a huge thank you for letting us know your opinion, it is very gratifying for us to know that it was very educational for you and your group. We like to know that you memorized the things and the itinerary. We hope to see you and your loved ones again soon.

Greetings.

Reviewed March 1, 2018

This was an incredible tour experience from start to finish. I consider myself a coffee snob and I learned so much about coffee farming and coffee tasting.

The tour covered the full coffee experience from end to end, from planting a single coffee bean to enjoying a well-brewed cup of coffee. The owner of the farm explained the process and then walked us threw each step.

He showed us where he plants individual beans and grows them to seedlings. He then took us to examine the live plants. Then, WE GOT TO PICK COFFEE BEANS OURSELVES! We walked through the plants for about twenty minutes, picking out ripe cherries and tossing them in the basket. Then he talked harvest season. Then he walked us through the full process of turning cherries into raw beans. Then he roasted a small batch for us, explaining everything as he did it.

Then we explained coffee tasting. We sampled different types of batches, then he explained what was different about each. The sampling was incredible, I feel like I could really taste the difference in quality between the different beans and processes.

Our meals were prepared by the owner's mother and they were DELICIOUS. Traditional meals with great ingredients. The rice was better than most food I'm used to eating.

I cannot recommend this tour highly enough. It's experiential, educational and run by a master farmer. (That coffee farm has been in the family for the past four generations!) This tour has changed the way I consume coffee for the rest of my life.

It is very gratifying for all the Cafe de la Cima team to know that you mention so much your counting on the farm, that it was to your liking that it would have been so experiential and educational; we are glad to know all this that you mentioned before; We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Greetings.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

Before you consider taking those horrible “narco” tours that perpetuate that gross image of Medellín as one of the most violent cities in the world (back in the 80s and 90s), you should consider what we pride ourselves in Colombia of: our delicious Coffee. The department of Antioquia is one of our largest producers which is why this is the tour to take if you want to learn everything there is about growing and producing coffee. The tour is set on Café de La Cima’s farm in Fredonia. Transportation can be accommodated from Medellin or the town of Fredonia if you can get there by car on your own. You go through the process of growing coffee (like “chapoleras”, you get to pick coffee grains ) from start to finish, at the end, you have a delicious typical lunch and enjoy a little coffee tasting course where you get to try different types of coffee (both good and bad) so that you can learn to differentiate good from bad coffee based on its fragrance, aroma and taste. It was s very entertaining experience! I highly recommend it

CAFEDELACIMA F, Gerente at Cafe de la Cima, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2018

We really appreciate your opinion, we like to know that you leave with a different face of Colombia that everything is really different from what it was in the past with respect to what you mention, we are glad to know that you enjoyed it and you recommend us with the whole world, on behalf of the Cafe de la Cima Mil family and a thousand thanks.

Been to Cafe de la Cima? Share your experiences!