“Amazing experience”

Michigan State Capitol
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Lansing
More attraction details
Owner description: Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1992, this building has served as Michigan's seat of state government since its completion in 1879.
Reviewed 28 May 2018

For an environment such as the Michigan State Capital , the staff creates experience. And the staff are polite, experienced and knowledgeable.
They answer every question and bend over backwards to make your experience fun.

The Capital itself is very well maintained, however there seems to be a new reconstruction or remodeling project every month. Generally on the outside of the building.

All reviews
"glass floor"
in 13 reviews
"governor's office"
in 7 reviews
"house and senate chambers"
"supreme court"
"great place to visit"
in 4 reviews
"worth the trip"

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful piece of history and our current political system! We had a wonderful tour guide who showed us the Governor's office, both the cahambers of the house and Senate and the dome of the capital building. It was so interesting and very exciting for the fourth graders we were with and their parents.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

Three of us arrived at 9AM on a Wednesday morning. We had called a few days ahead to make sure tours started at that time, and, if you check the capitol's website, you can see when all the school groups are scheduled as well. We wanted to avoid them.
When we got to the check-in desk, Matt told us that they were unusually short-staffed that day, and sincerely apologized that we could not do a 9AM guided tour. We would have to wait until 930 (with kids) or tour the capitol without a guide. We were going to choose the latter.
But Matt sincerely felt bad that we had made the trip knowing that 9AM should be an option. He called for backup, and offered to show us as much as he could before he was needed for the 930 school tour.
The man is a wealth of knowledge and insight. He clearly loves his job. And, as we parted, around 920, he also made sure to mention other parts of the capitol we had not yet seen and what to look for in those areas.
The Capitol itself is stunning. But our appreciation for the edifice was made even more palpable with his help. If you get him as your guide, you will not be disappointed.
Thanks again, Matt.

2  Thank MongoSchwartz
Reviewed 3 April 2018

As a family, we visit state capitols and get a stamp in our capitol passport book. We have been to over 20 capitols and hadn't done our own state! This capitol is my favorite because I grew up down the road from it and seeing it everyday. I miss that now that I have moved away. The tour is great and the only way you can see the capitol on Saturdays. I miss walking through the front door, but since 9/11 most capitols have changed it so you cannot walk through the front doors.

1  Thank Becky H