“Fantastic In Every Way!”
Review of Butch's Dry Dock

Butch's Dry Dock
Reserve with OpenTable
Butch's Dry Dock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 244 Restaurants in Holland
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

My wife took me here for my birthday, it was a great choice. I had the short rib dinner, it was excellent. My wife had chicken, and that was very good as well. Service was excellent. Atmosphere was a little loud because our table was in the bar area, not a problem though. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We will be back.

Butch T, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your food and your experience here at Butch's. Please request our formal dining side next time you are in as this is a wonderful experience and much quieter than the pub can be. Thank you for taking the time to review us, we look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We visited Butch's Dry Dock for dinner. I had the Short ribs with XO sauce. The XO sauce tasted like old fish smells. My wife had the trout and the skin was not crispy. Fried trout should have crispy skin, this is not hard to do.
The service was very slow.
For the cost, I will not return. This restaurant is way overrated.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your food and in your experience. The XO sauce is made with fish sauce, as well as dried scallops and shrimp, so this is where you picked up that fish smell. The trout is pan-seared with its skin on and should be served crispy; this complaint has been discussed with our kitchen staff. These factors combined explain your disappointment, and it is my regret that we couldn't provide something more preferable to you while you were here.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Butch is smart to comment consistently and quickly to both good and bad opinions. I will give this place a try because at least he is engaged with his customers. Obviously, he should react and put forth corrective action when necessary.

Butch T, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Hello Peter,

My customers' experience is my number one goal and I appreciate any feedback allowing us to improve and grow. Thank you for commenting. We hope to serve you soon!

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We're long-term locals, familiar with the excellent variety of locally-owned area restaurants. Butch's has been, and continues to be, Holland's most outstanding venue, combining consistently an interesting menu, finely-prepared meals, warmly professional service, and unpretentious elegance. Butch's is really two restaurants: one the front white-tablecloth version, the other comfortable, casual half adjoining Butch's bar. Both halves are great lunch spots as well. Butch's is also Holland's locus for fine wines, and Butch organizes and hosts fabulous European trips for oenophiles oriented around personally-cultivated relationships with vintners in superb wine-producing locales in Spain, France, and Italy. Don't miss Butch's.

Butch T, Owner at Butch's Dry Dock, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review us so positively! It is wonderful to be received exactly as we strive to be. I hope we have the pleasure of serving you time and again.

Best, Butch

Reviewed 17 February 2018

My last meal at Butch's was tremendously disappointing for my my entire family. For the first time ever, our service was sub-par (constantly wondering where our waiter was, I even had to get up and find them on several occasions). Under the cover of white table cloths, they tried to be a lot fancier than they are (I ordered the fries because it came with "Seventy Six Sauce"...which was just plain Heinz Ketchup). The portions were on the small, sad side and the desserts were wholly uninspired and disappointing. I'll be giving Butch's one more chance in the future.

1  Thank bassetthound18

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your disappointing experience to our attention. Heinz 57 is actually a historical advertising slogan developed by Heinz, still used widely today. Our colorful menu is created from locally-sourced, fresh ingredients and as such is typically received well by our guests. I will bring your portion size complaints to our Chef's attention. As for service, we hold our staff to high service standards and will address your complaints very seriously. I hope we can please next time.