“Nicest people, property needs some work”

Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 10, 2017

I want to start by saying, the people we dealt with were lovely and professional and went out fo their way to take care of all the issues we ran into. #1, arrived to a room that wasn't completely ready. piles of pillows and sheets in the chairs, no towels yet. The adjoining room was open and had old food. I was moved to another room that was cleaned. The key card lock on my door had to be replaced which took about 45 minutes, this was on day two. Day 3, the toilet didn't flush properly and I had to have some one come to fix it at 9pm my final evening. There were other strange issues that my colleagues dealt with, and all seemed to revolve around not having consistent processes. Having soap one day, and not the next. Coming back to my room and finding my full water bottle gone. No huge deal but, disappointing.
This is a beautiful older property with lovely personnel. I do hope that the management realizes that with a bit of process improvement and training, they could get rave reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water
  • Stayed: December 2017, traveled on business
Elaine K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2017

Thank you again for your feedback. It was our pleasure to address this issue while you were still staying with us. I am regretful that your stay was not to your expectations. I sincerely hope you will visit us again. I hope you are satisfied with the staff responsiveness to the issues you encountered.

Reviewed December 7, 2017

I really like the location as downtown Detroit is getting continually better and it’s an easy walk from here. Hotel has so much potential but it needs an update as it’s tired. Rooms are comfortable but bathroom I had was laughingly tiny. Great corner room but truly a laugh. There use to be a bar on top floor, and it’s closed and it would be a great place to hang and view.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe B
Elaine K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. The design of the hotel brings a great view for every room, but it does sacrifice some bathroom space.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 1, 2017

I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights. The pictures on their website or on tripadvisor look far better than the reality. The rooms are ok, but very very old and run-down. I have paid almost 700 USD for 4 nights, which is far too much for the value you receive and for the state in which the hotel is. I know that this is true for a lot of hotels in the US, but anyway the prices are too high for the value you receive. You feel as if you are on a trip back in time when you stay in these hotels, but you pay the price of a new one.
The pool area is in the cellar right next to the entrance. It does not look

2  Thank Ale x
Daleda J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. It is true that the Crowne Plaza Detroit is a historical building, and many updates have been done recently. One of the advantages of the Crowne Plaza Detroit is the location- right in the heart of downtown and close to all of the sports and entertainment venues. Thanks for letting us know about your stay.

Reviewed November 30, 2017

The property is in a great location in downtown Detroit. The staff is friendly and engaged in making my stay comfortable. The reason that I give this hotel an Average rating is the property condition. Finishes are becoming dated and dents and marks in doors are becoming noticeable. While it is apparent that the hotel is attempting to keep up with the aging property, it is probably time to renovate.
I had a hard time figuring out how to get the elevator to the street level. Better signage would be helpful.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business

We appreciate the details regarding your accommodations. We're glad the staff made you feel welcomed. We are constantly making improvements to our hotel. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 25, 2017

Overall a nice place to stay. I thought it odd that the exterior sliding doors for both the Mezzanine and where the Valets where didn't work. The bed was extremely comfortable. Having a Starbucks was definitely a life saver

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Daleda J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2017

We hope to see you again soon!