“Excellent breakfast”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

This was my first time being here since the name change and I was impressed! Our party of 9 came here on a Sunday morning for the family style breakfast and it was superb from beginning to end. Our waiter was extremely gracious and efficient and the food was amazing-very hot, fresh and plentiful. I live in Florida, but next year when we come back up this will definitely be one of our stops. I highly recommend and wish this place was near my house.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

First off the server did a great job but the food could be much better.

$13 spinach salad should have tomatoes that aren't green and its tomato season so there's no excuse. My medium rare burger was well done but still ok. Food delivered like this is a sign that the chef doesn't care even after the server brought this to his attention, he just shrugged. The restaurant only had a few people so he wasn't overloaded.

Would I go back? There are so many restaurants that try harder, I don't think so. I gave it an average because they are slightly better than poor. Maybe they were just having a bad day?

Reviewed 3 August 2016

While driving around Leelanau Peninsula we decided on the Cedar Rustic Inn for dinner, which is now Big Cat Brewery. We had dinner on the patio as it was a lovely evening. They had cider available, which pleased my friend, who is not a beer drinker; I enjoyed the Maverick Pale Ale. When asked if I could taste it first, I was offered a 5-oz. glass, for which there was a charge. Not a big problem as the ale was very good, but it is common practice for any brewery (or restaurant which serves craft beers) to allow customers a small taste (perhaps 1 oz.) before ordering a pint. The 5-oz. is more appropriate for a flight to sample a variety of beers. That being said, we split the coconut cashew walleye, served with a coconut pineapple sauce on the side, a wonderful combination of flavors. Though I was apprehensive when I saw that the walleye was fried, the coating was light, crisp, and a delicious compliment to the mild fish. The vegetables were brightly colored and perfectly cooked. The menu had good variety, and I would like to return to try some of their other entrees.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

We used to visit this establishment when it was the Cedar Rustic Inn and always found it be a solid, if not spectacular, dining experience. We were excited to learn it had become the Big Cat Brewery because we are beer lovers, so we made a stop last night. That will probably be our last.

It's not that the food was particularly bad, but several of our meals were overcooked. My wife and I often share an entree, so we've become accustomed to, and accepting of, splitting charges. Usually, however, a splitting charge results in some response from the ktichen; they'll split the item into halves, sometimes throw in a little extra of the side order, SOMETHING. Not this place. We ordered a burger (which was medium well instead of medium rare) and got...an extra plate. No nice cut down the middle, no extra pickle, no anything. They gave us nothing for the extra charge. As the waiter put it, "I guess they just don't want people to split." I made note of the waiter's use of the pronoun "they" instead of "we." Interesting lack of management cohesion.

We were a party of eight, and we also understand the implementation of mandatory gratuities for large parties because it's all too easy for the server to get stiffed. However, we had four separate checks for two people each, but that didn't stop the cashier from adding an 18% gratuity to each of our checks. Really?

I suppose if the food had been really superb, we could have overlooked the nickel-and-dime short-sighted attitude of Big Cat, but there are enough places on Leelanau Peninsula who exhibit more appreciation for their customers such that we don't need to settle for this establishment.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

Good, off the beaten path, comfort food
Went the other night after we walked out of another establishment for service failure