“A Great Find in Wakefield”

Maya Indian Bar & Grill
Ranked #8 of 89 Restaurants in Wakefield
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Reviewed 9 March 2018

Visited Maya Indian Grill for the first time last night. Was pleasantly greeted (by the owner?) and seated promptly. Our server appeared quickly to take drink orders; these were served quickly - beer with an frosty glass and well-prepared martini.

For each item we ordered, we were asked to specify mild, medium or hot. For the vindaloo, we asked for hot. Our server asked if we wanted "American hot" or "Indian hot". We opted for the former, and it was plenty hot! It was a nice touch that she asked and didn't let us make a mistake :-) The chicken vindaloo was excellent, as was the lamb korma and Dal that we ordered. They also had bigger selection of naan than we've found elsewhere. We opted for cilantro chile - never had this before, but it was very flavorful.

We were sitting by a window; at one point the host / owner asked if we would like a space heater! We declined, but were impressed that he asked to be sure we were comfortable.

All in all, a great place and we will be back. Very tasteful and pleasant decor, great service, awesome food and super convenient location. We've been to many Indian restaurants in the greater Boston area and this one has worked its way to the top of the list. Looking forward to going back!

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Great Indian cuisine, nice atmosphere, nice staff that puts an effort into making it a good dining experience.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

The food is so delicious my family and I eat here at least once a week. I have visited a handful of Indian restaurants in my life and tried another last week (Maya was closed) and have never been too impressed. Maya was a completely new take on what I thought typical Indian food tasted like. I will be a customer for life!

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Two weeks ago, my husband and I were working nearby and stumbled into Maya,
just behind the Wakefield MBTA station. He had the lamb vindaloo (too spicy for a wimp like me, but he loved it) I had the Saag shrimp and it was delicious. The manager Kanaan (I think?) came over to ask how we were enjoying dinner and we told him how happy we were to have found this jewel. He thanked us and sent over a special dessert - not sure what it was but loved it. We came back on this chilly November Sunday night and it was once again warm and welcoming with wonderful food and friendly people. A great spot for couples or a group of friends. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 15 November 2017

I had eaten Indian food many years ago and liked it, so I stopped in a couple of times to the Maya Indian Bar and Grill and I was again pleasantly surprised.

The flavors and spices used are in a wonderful combination for the dishes I tried. The cauliflower was my choice as appetizer and it was crunchy, a bit spicy and totally yummy. Next I tried a lamb dish (Lagan) which was totally awesome, tender, juicy and the spices and sauce were what made the dish. The next visit I tried the Shrimp Balchao as my appetizer and it was really yummy and a bit on the spicy side. Then as my main meal I chose the Moilee, (which is for seafood only) coconut is used in the sauce and I chose the shrimp. Once again the sauce was delicious and the basmati rice served with all the dishes was fragrant and aromatic which added another level of flavor to all the dishes.

At the beginning of your meal they serve a bread like cracker with two different dipping sauces and I have still to determine which is my favorite, as they are both very different and delectable. I did not opt for any of the bread offerings (although the next visit I may) as I have been trying to cut down on my starches.

Maya offers a full bar and deserts, so go with an open mind, for a very pleasant dining experience. The staff are lovely and go over and above to make your visit complete. Happy eating !

Date of visit: October 2017