“Awesome Homemade Ice Cream Shop”
Review of The Ice Cream Barn

The Ice Cream Barn
Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Swansea
Reviewed December 7, 2014

Great homemade ice cream!!! Very friendly service for a fair price. Very clean and has a great selection of favors. Give it a try you will be back!!!!

1  Thank Lou S

Reviewed September 16, 2014

This is a great cash-only local ice cream shop in Swansea. There is no space to sit and eat inside, but if you're there on a warmer day, you could easily spend a while sitting on one of the outdoor benches and watching the sun go down. Across the street from the barn is a beautiful private pasture with longhorns. During our visit last week, we saw a group of Canadian geese who were passing through and had stopped for a rest in the pasture. It was really a peaceful backdrop for a quiet date night or, in our case, a family treat.

With that said, the ice cream here is probably not as good as Gifford's ice cream (available at Wood's in Westport and Simcock Farm in Somerset, among other places), but even mediocre ice cream is still delicious, and I do appreciate that all the Ice Cream Barn's ice creams and waffle cones are made in-house. I opted for a small pistachio cone and was blown away when I was presented with my order. The confection was huge, and this is coming from someone who is used to Texas-sized portions...!The pistachio skimped a bit on the pistachios (especially compared with my beloved Blue Bell pistachio almond) and was not quite not as sweet as my sweet tooth prefers, but it was smooth and creamy nonetheless. I also sampled the banana peanut butter cup, which was definitely tasty but leaned very heavily on the banana side. I found the peanut butter aspect to be a bit lacking. Again, very good, but I would recommend this only for banana fanatics. My husband had the Kahlua Brownie, which is essentially a milk chocolate ice cream with tiny brownie bites drizzled atop the cone, rather than mixed in evenly with the ice cream. My husband enjoyed his, but said it just didn't live up to Gifford's Chocolate Lover's Chocolate or his Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate. My mother-in-law and father-in-law both enjoyed their selections, too - a kiddie cone and a thick ice cream shake, respectively - but neither seemed particularly blown away.

In all, I think the ice cream is a solid 3 stars, but the beautiful surrounding location earns the Ice Cream Barn a fancy fourth.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

So many good ice cream places around here I like this place, cool to just hang out and watch the oxen across the street if there close to the fence, good ice cream the girls are friendly awsome waffle cones.

1  Thank Country_man34