“Awesome food!”

Get food delivered
Ranked #2 of 9 Quick Bites in Sykesville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 5 March 2021

Stopped in for breakfast and ordered two wraps. They were so big we ended up having half a wrap for two days running! They were also delicious! Not too sure about coffee out of a machine, but that was good too. Next day ordered two sandwiches (hot roast beef and the Italian) for lunch on the way back to Cecil County, Maryland. Both were awesome! And did I mention the apple dumpling?? DELISH! So sad Cecil County is over an hour away or we’d be a regular customer. And also weigh 500 lbs! Also, the girls behind the counter were very friendly and helpful. Thank you all!

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (60)

Reviewed 17 February 2020

My daughter recommended we try this place as I was looking for something new. She said her husband ate there a lot when he was working nearby and that they had really huge sandwiches. I went with an open mind and an empty stomach. The reviews gave a lot of praise on how large the sandwiches are… I’m more after a delicious sandwich and size doesn’t have to matter to me. Since it was a cold winter day, we decided to get our sandwiches and go home and light a fire.

Upon driving up, the other reviews mentioned that it “wasn’t much to look at” and “don’t let looks deceive you.” It is located a small strip with a few shops near a large gas station. I imagined since it was near a liquor store, it was a Mecca to those in a hurry to get gas, drinks and sandwiches after a busy day at work. The front of the business was a bit of a mystery as you couldn’t see in until you open the door. The signage is clear: Big Belly Deli and Bakery. There isn’t much parking so it might prove wise to call in an order before you go and pick up. Once inside, a blackboard shows the specials with an ordering window surrounded by drink cases and individually encased bakery goods (which were hard to identify). The adjoining room is filled with a variety of seating from booths, tables (some with folding chairs) and picnic tables with a large TV. It’s cleverly kitschy which I’m sure the kids love, but not a place to bring a date or to get a cocktail. It’s strictly a carry out as observed by the line of folks leaving their orders and waiting until it’s ready. There is no table service provided.

The menu boasts a lot of selections for sandwiches but there are no soups or salads listed. Even desserts aren’t listed here. They do offer breakfast but nothing you couldn’t get elsewhere. My husband gave our order to the busy window lady, and I had a seat at a nearby table to look around. The tables were clean with a few condiments but no napkins. A drink station is on one wall but no napkins seemed to be in view. When we got home, the bags had no napkins either which I thought strange.

I ordered a curry chicken salad sandwich on sourdough and asked for just onion and a little honey mustard (which my husband said they had no honey mustard). I said that’s fine, but plain chicken salad with a little onion, no lettuce or tomato ($8.29). He ordered the Reuben ($9.99). As the BBD is labeled a bakery, I thought I would try an offering and decided on the peach coffee cake and he got a chocolate peanut butter one. Our window lady told him that desserts are “buy two and get one free,” so he got a cinnamon roll we could share for breakfast the next day.

Looking around while we waited, I was a little saddened by the obviously dirty floor…it seems they just don’t care enough to sweep on a daily basis or scrub at all. There were blackened spots on the floor which a scrubber would have gotten up with a little muscle. The dust and bits of paper were apparent all along the wall edge and baseboard which hadn’t seen a broom in a while. I noticed this theme carried into the hall that led to the kitchen area. We waited 10 minutes before our name was called which I thought a fair amount of time as there was a line and it was dinner time. We live about 15 minutes by car.

Upon opening our paper bag (my husband’s sandwich had wet the entire bottom of the bag through the paper wrappings), and I was grateful my sandwich was on top. I opened my sandwich and it was big. The bread was overwhelming. I removed the top layer of bread and it had several handfuls of shredded lettuce with a slice of tomato (I ordered it plain) and after taking most of this off, the chicken salad was yellow from too much curry (see photo). The placement of the chicken salad was not evenly spread and it was sliding off onto the paper on one side and almost absent on the other. I pretty much had to remake it in order to take a bite. In addition, the bread was not sliced even. I had a very thick piece toward one end and thinner toward the other (see photo). As I was eating it, the filling seemed to need a little acid from mustard to balance the flavor and the curry was overdosed. If they had thought to add a little tarragon and celery it, could have been much tastier (the few celery pieces were too soggy for crunch). If the sourdough were a little more rustic, my sandwich would have not been so soggy. I liked the golden raisins but they had grown soggy, too. I decided to remove the chicken salad off the other half to remake for lunch the next day (the bread went into the trash). It was though someone made it without a thought to what would happen once it landed on soft bread…. My husband said his sandwich was okay but soggy. I was sad about the peach coffee cake. It was a combination of dry and old. I noticed the cake had been over-baked from a mix as noted by the dark brown bottom, the vanilla glaze was rock hard and no peach flavor was present (there was a slight cocoanut aftertaste which I didn’t care for). It looked pretty in its large cupcake-like liner but was a thumbs-down for me (see photo). I didn’t finish it and threw it out. My husband said his was okay but honestly, if you put anything with chocolate in front of him he would eat it just because it was chocolate. The next morning I cut the cinnamon bun in half and had to scrap the icing off the inside lid as it was too squashed inside the container. It, too, seemed a little dry. Absent was enough butter, brown sugar and cinnamon that usually appear in a good roll, and instead of being rolled in a circle, the layers were vertical and not symmetrical. Again, there was this cocoanut aftertaste that I just didn’t care for.

I would like to come back and try something not on sourdough. In this case, being bigger doesn’t mean better. I would have been happier with a smaller sandwich with fresher balanced ingredients. This writer would like to come back at another time (perhaps in the beginning of the week when bakery goods are fresher?) and try another sandwich without sourdough.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 12 February 2020

The sandwiches are HUGE! I have not had one yet that I wouldn't order again....they also have a great dessert selection...if you have room after your sandwich!!!

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 6 November 2019

They have the biggest sandwiches I have ever seen... and the Cuban is to die for. The bread is fresh and every sandwich I've enjoyed has been pressed with lots of cheese and veggies included. The sandwiches are like 2 sandwiches because of the size of their bread and the amount of goodies they fit in between.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed 15 June 2019 via mobile

We just happened on this place. We stopped and got gas and the hubby was like we need to go in there. I promptly hop on Yelp to check out reviews and in we went. Reviews were on point. The sandwiches are gigantic. One sandwich could def feed 2 people. We both got the spam, egg, and cheese sandwich. It was grilled to perfection. Wasn’t overdone. Wasn’t greasy. Wasn’t too messy to eat. It was just right! We also bought some pastries. They have daily specials and today (Saturday) was buy 2 and get 1 free. Woohoo! Bought the gigantic donut and it was pretty tasty. We would definitely return to this place. Can’t comment on the lack of cleanliness because no one was inside eating, everybody was taking their orders to go.

Date of visit: June 2019