“Great Food, Great Service, Old Fashioned Dining Experience”

Nova Europa Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 419 Restaurants in Silver Spring
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2017

I said checked "one of the best meals in my life" .. for American or European food. I'm not comparing to Ethiopian or Vietnamese which I love too.

I have lived less than 10 minutes from this place for over 20 years. The first time I went to it was Mother's Day. I had heard it was really good, but I usually choose ethnic food over American/European food, so I had never been there.

My Mother-in-law wanted to take us and her grandchild and her family to dinner somewhere near us on Mother's Day. I knew Parkway Deli (which is not half as nice as this place) would be crowded. We called "Mrs. K's Toll House" to see if there were any reservations left (4 days before Mother's Day) and there were not. I remembered this nondescript place in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center that has been rated very highly. I chose an off-time on Sunday and we were able to get in.

This place is better than most of the restaurants above it. Much better than Parkway Deli, they are not even in the same category. And the food is much better than Mrs. K's Toll House. What Mrs. K's has over Nova Europa is that they are on a busy road and hidden away in a small shopping center.

Our party really enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, and the service. I think the last time I had that kind of service was on a cruise ship in the main dining room. My MIL loved the place, In our party we had fish of the day (mmm-mine), Jumbo Shrimp stuffed with crabmeat and Portuguese Steak, Filet Mignon and Pasta of the Day (ravioli). Everyone loved their dish. The meal came with rolls and a salad and they were not side orders. You could order appetizers, but I'm not sure where you could put the food because we were so full.

The desserts looked yummy, but no one had enough room to order dessert. This restaurant deserves to be rated way better than 23/317 as it was the day I reviewed it.

Do not let the outside of the restaurant in a shopping mall make you think this is not an excellent place. It is a hidden gem.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I have never had a bad meal at Nova. The dishes are nicely plated and are served on hot plates. The sauces are what make the dishes in my opinion. The service is always spot-on. Sousa, I hope I spelled it correctly is our favorite waiter. He is always very attentive and pleasant. He is old schooled and knows the menu and dishes so don’t be afraid to ask him for suggestions. My wife and I love this place and is one of our favorite places to dine. From the appetizers to the main entree, the food is what one would expect from an excellent restaurant. Give Nova Europa a try. You won’t be disappointed. If you want exceptional service I recommend asking for Sousa's section.

1  Thank STEELEHARDY
Reviewed 27 March 2017

We came to Nova Europa without great expectations, but, looking for a non-chain, me-too type of dining experience. WOW!!! Were we pleasantly surprised. It is difficult to say whether the food was better than the service or that the service overwhelmed the food. If you are lucky enough to have Tony (with a full head of white hair) as your waiter, you are in for a real treat. Tony is as fast as a speeding bullet and our drinks and appetizers appeared almost as soon as we had ordered them. He continued to look after us so well throughout our meal. Food was very well prepared and delicious. After the meal, the tablecloth was wiped clean with a combed fork, which is a trait from yesteryear and almost impossible to find today. What a wonderful overall dining experience. I can't wait to come back and eat here again.

Reviewed 12 February 2017

We have been going to Nova Europa for the last 25 years. The food is fabulous and the staff are very accommodating. I would thoroughly recommend giving this place a try if you like european style food.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Nova Europa is a quiet restaurant with Old World cuisine, hospitality and ambience. The food is good and reminiscent of high end restaurants of past decades. Some dishes are a bit heavy and lacking in the fresh, local style of most newer establishments. Nonetheless, if you want an old world experience, good food and a welcoming staff, Nova Europa fits the bill.