“Excellent Variety”

Bistro Provence
Ranked #37 of 390 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New French restaurant run by chef Yannick Cam.
Reviewed 7 September 2017

For an anniversary dinner we choose Bistro Provence and we were not disappointed.
Our server was very knowledgeable on the menu items. All had sauces with which we were unfamiliar and he explained the items we were interested in. The décor was just right. Simple but elegant enough; the ambiance was perfect for our anniversary celebration. There is an open kitchen but we were seated by the window near the bar, so cannot comment on the chef or the kitchen. We ordered the veal and it was cooked as ordered. If you like French food, this is the place to go. It was a little pricy but we were in DC and we wanted to go to a nice place. The only negative comment I can make is that the waiter was more focused on pleasing my husband as far as the wine selection was concerned not even giving a thought I was equally as knowledgeable on good wines.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

The food, service and atmosphere was all the best. Manu gave great recommendations on both the meal, wine and after dinner selections. He was friendly and made our meal and evening more enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Classic French food if you still like it - behind the times if you've moved on from there. Tasty, but emphasis is on sauces and presentation - too rich for my blood.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Look, real great restaurants are hard to find in DC. There are some very fancy ones, but they aren't awesome, just expensive. Bistro Provence is awesome, in a solid, whole-body good food happy sort of way. Service was some of the best I've ever seen. We trusted him with the wine choice, and he brought the most delicious bottle - which wasn't even on the menu. The specials menu is a mile long and I understand from the regulars that this is where the gold is. We started with the Foie Gras, the lobster crepes, and asparagus soup. All of them worthy an individual 5-star review. The Foie Gras really got me. The best main course was the veal. We went for veal, fish, and duck confit. All very very good, but the veal wins. Desert best was chocolate mousse, apple tartine, and frozen nougat. All very good, but pick the chocolate mousse, even if you're not a chocolate fan (I ain't - it was divine). We trusted the Maitre 'd, I think he was, with the after dinner drinks, and again, they were just right. I've never seen service like this in the US. It's not extremely fast, but it's extremely personal. It's tailored - and yes, that takes a little longer. Service was so perfectly matched to my preferences, it was almost eery. Food awesome. A serious treasure in DC's culinary wastelands.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

This small bistro is a gem. If the weather is nice sit on the patio in the back, or if not,grab a table in the front, or have a drink in the bar. The food is more sophisticated than most bistro fare, and the wine list while not extensive is well chosen. We all ordered fish and shared a wonderful bottle of Sancerre I had the salmon which was grilled to perfection on a bed of fresh vegetables. The service was timely and unobtrusive. Will definitely return.