“What a jewel!”
Review of Scratch Baking Co.

Scratch Baking Co.
Ranked #1 of 10 Dessert in South Portland
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 24 April 2018

As a visitor 2 the Portland area over the last few yrs, I’ve noted that there r a huge number of excellent bakeries w/ countless treats 2 sample & enjoy. But during this stay, my niece took me 2 1 that I think has become my favorite - Scratch Baking. We stopped by there around lunchtime 2day & ordered 2 of their delightful sandwiches - chicken salad & pulled pork - both on the tastiest country wheat & ciabatta bread ever! We selected a wonderful tea & coffee as well. They were the perfect ingredients 4 an impromptu picnic at Cape Elizabeth lighthouse. Heavenly! We also made sure 2 take a few samples of their baked goods (scones, cookies, mini cheesecake) home 4 family. Hats off 2 a friendly welcoming staff whose divine pastries bring smiles 2 all who enter their bakery! Look 4ward 2 returning on my next visit.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

Their fresh bagels and veggie cream cheese are the best. And, while you are waiting in line to pay, the muffins and desserts are equally as delicious. Always crowded, but worth the visit. Their recently opened Toast Bar nearby offers amazing breakfasts. Get there early in order to get a seat!

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Best bagels ever—and I lived in NYC for 8 years. Cookies and desserts are great. They offer sandwiches and soups now. And really good coffee. As a regular, I realize I have to share it with the tourists, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. Thankfully they expanded their bakery so they can keep up with the bagel demands. I am often asked by co-workers to bring Scratch bagels to the office.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Love the muffins ( and the other goodies ) Very busy place, especially weekends. All their items are great

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Have only gone here for their bagels so cannot comment on all the other goodies (and there are plenty). I agree with the majority of the reviewers - these bagels are special - and I understand why the constant flow of folks starting at 6am. The sour dough bagel is special - crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside make for a tasty morning start - the flavor is special. If you want a large variety to choose from you will be disappointed - don't be, the 'plain' is all you need. I prefer them toasted but untested is pretty darn good. I say go for it and wish you good luck getting out of there with only bagels :>)