“Anniversary dinner”

Price range: US$21 - US$34
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Specializing in New World American cuisine using local ingredients, local beers, large wine list and creative cocktails
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We ate at Walter's for our 40th wedding anniversary dinner. What a lovely place. The staff was friendly and attentive and the food and cocktails absolutely perfect. We recommend eating here and when we go back to Portland we will definitely eat here again.

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I don't know why I don't frequent Walter's more often. It really is fabulous! When it was on Exchange street for many years I went far more often. However, my coworkers and I decided on a last minute lunch today and we all agreed to make the short trek up to Walter's. Usually I'm not a salad as a main course kinda girl. Today I opted for the Chop Chop salad and I'm so glad that I did! How great does this sound: Thai marinated ground chicken, romaine, red cabbage, cukes, carrots, chickpeas, crushed peanuts and wonton crisps. Yeah, it's that good! My dining partners had the Cobb (excellent!), the scallops w/ a japanese rice stick (to die for) and the pita tzatziki w/ lamb (she was pretty silent through the meal so that pretty much says how great this was). Oh, and to top it off - our server was really great too. Next time I'm coming back for dinner!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 26 April 2017

We were walking from the Portland Museum of Art to Old Port. We were cold and hungry and decided to stop in. It was around 2pm and they were only serving from the bar menu. We decided to stay. The bar menu was diverse. My husband ordered the lobster mac & cheese. He received a larger portion than he expected for the price. Not only that he said it was the best lobster mac & cheese he has ever had. I ordered the shrimp tacos. They were delicious. I offered my husband a bite. He was reluctant as he is not a big shrimp fan. He loved them and kept asking for another bite. I wish we were in town for dinner. We definitely would have gone back.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 9 April 2017

Terrific menu in both restaurant and the bar has its own menu and daily specials. Very nice selection of food, salads, soups, burger and much much more. Excellent bartenders, nice cocktail list and reasonable value on wines by the glass. We will return more often for a real food dinner.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 8 April 2017

I came here during Maine Restaurant Week for dinner on a Thursday night without a reservation. A friend and I were celebrating our mutual, recent birthdays. I hadn't been to Walter's in several years, mostly because it tends towards the pricey side but also because the environment is a bit stiff as in "suit and tie" and tends to cater to the business crowd. But here we were in our working-class glory, and without much fuss got seated in the front window near the door..... parking spot right out front. As expected, the environment included low lighting, a nicely-appointed dining room and a modern, upscale vibe. There's a large main dining room with "L" (where we sat) and to the left of the front door is a sizable lounge with more tables, and a full-service bar. We arrived on the early side of dinner and it was quiet at first. Then patrons began to arrive and the restaurant filled-up considerably. We hardly noticed any music playing on the sound system (there may have been none at all), which was fine with us.... we were there to eat and socialize primarily. Table seats were not especially comfortable.

Our main server, "Jesse," came over to introduce herself and pour waters. Menus had already been delivered when the hostess sat us. We liked Jesse very much and felt throughout our meal that she provided attentive and professional service. I started with a nice glass of Arabella chenin blanc from So. Africa. The MRW menu offered 3 courses: we both started with the jungle Choo Chee Curry Chicken Meatballs with yellow sweet chili marsala butter and sesame seeds. By consensus, this turned out to be the star of the meal. The meatballs were delicious, five of them, and the sauce sweet & spicy and so satisfying. Next my friend ordered the Jerked Spiced Coulotte Steak, crispy sweet potato, creamy chayote pepper slow with mango mojo. I got the Herbed rubbed haddock, maitakes, fingerlings, spinach, smoked pepper demi glace with lobster aioli. Both dishes were very good and the portions were ample. For dessert my friend chose the Mocha Cheesecake bite, Chocolate crust with chocolate whipped cream. It was a bite, indeed..... very small, yet satisfying because of its richness. I went with the Ginger Creme Brulee. The ginger flavor was subtle and although I liked my dessert, it was certainly not a most memorable brulee among others I've had.

Dinner for me came to $57.00 including tax & tip; for my friend: $46.00. This seemed a fair price for a nice meal in a classy, if not a bit stuffy, restaurant with very good table service. Walter's has been around for a very long time, and one can see why. I enjoyed them more when they were located on Exchange St. in the days when they were "less suit and more accessible to everyone." I will go back, however, Maine Restaurant Week, or not.

Date of visit: March 2017