“Nice, clean place to eat.”
Review of Helen's

Helen's
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Machias
Price range: US$1 - US$30
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Route one family restaurant with sweeping views of the historic (Battle of the Margaretta, 1st naval battle of the Revolutionary War) tidal Machias River. Known for baked blueberry pie, fish chowder, local products (seafood, dairy, produce, syrup, and more) exceptional service, and house made baked goods.
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Well ... if you travel US-1 in the Downeast area of Maine, you have certainly seen Helen's Restaurant. It burned down a few years back and was completely rebuilt shortly thereafter. The food there is "OK" - nothing out of the ordinary and nothing special. What it special is that they keep it clean (unlike the unrelated Helen's Restaurant in Sullivan, ME). Now here's the truth ... they brag about how great their pies are but they really are not that great. They're just "OK." I can make way better pie myself. So for the big question: Would I eat there again? Of course I would because in addition to the place being clean and the food being OK, the staff there is friendly and courteous. If I add all that up, it certainly gets my vote. BTW: Machias is a GREAT place it live or visit if you're trying to escape the stress of the city. It's a good, healthy and safe place to retire or to raise kids. We hope one day to move there.

1  Thank harryjohnson2014

Dear Harry,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience and opinion of Helen's. Our pies are bragged about by people who eat them, we just make them in our bakery every day with love, what people like has certainly been spread by them not us. Machias is an excellent place to live and raise a family that is a fact! Best wishes on your plans to find your way to Washington County.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

My best friend and I ended up in Machias on a coastal ME road trip and on the advice of a local, stopped at Helen's for dinner. We started with locally-sourced goat cheese and crackers and whole-belly fried oysters, which were heavenly: fresh, tender, tasty! I had the liver and onions, which was dead twice over. Why is it that so many cooks treat organ meat with less respect than other high end cuts? If anything, they need MORE care rather than less. But I was disinclined to complain, so I ate it. My friend said her salad was excellent. We ended with a HUGE piece of wild Maine blueberry pie, warmed and served with ice cream.. Words fail me here: it was more in every way than we expected. We returned for breakfast, and my corned beef hash was excellent, as well. Service was prompt, friendly, and attentive. Definitely recommend, although I advise some work on the liver!

Dear Ms Meow (love the name),
So glad you were able to join us on your travels. We appreciate your candor about the liver and onions, it surprisingly continues to be a good seller I believe because it is so rare to find on restaurant menus. This was an excellent opportunity to speak with our new kitchen staff about temperature and preparation of liver, so thank your for input. Respecting the product and the life of the animal who produced it is very important to us as well.
Sincere thanks! Julie

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Had one not so great lunch at other location in Ellsworth with dismal food, and even worse service. So we were not sure we should try this location, but went anyway due to great reviews from fellow Advisors. Wow! We sure were glad we did! My fish chowder was the best I ever had. Large portion and and perfectly prepared Haddock sandwich enjoyed by the Hubs, and I had the Haddock fish and chips. Everything delicious, including the yummy warm rolls served on the side. Service was fantastic, even though we were outside on the deck. Can't wait to go again!

Dear Nautifish,
Thank you for coming to Machias for a dining experience at Helen's. You are one of the lucky ones who get to eat by the river on a beautiful summer day, they are to be treasured! We appreciate you sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor viewers. Come again when you are in our area.
Julie

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Stopped at Helen's for breakfast on the way to Campobello Island the breakfast was delicious and the atmosphere welcoming!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

My friends and I stopped here on a trip through Maine. I had a salad and it was very fresh. Making a decision about which dessert to choose was almost impossible. There were so many choices but we finally decided on the blueberry pie. It was FILLED with wild Maine blueberry and was definitely a 10.