“Amazing !”

Provender Kitchen And Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Provender Kitchen And Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 71 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Description: Located in a charming 1930's downtown Ellsworth building, Provender Kitchen + Bar boasts Chef/Ower Daron Goldstein's eclectic, contemporary American cooking in an approachable, family-friendly format, alongside Front of the House Manager/Owner Joy Kempf's ingredient-driven craft cocktails and handpicked selection of artisan wines and beers. Provender's culinary foundation is based upon locally sourced, quality ingredients which produce a seasonal, ever-changing menu of craveable dishes. Daron, Joy and their team at Provender Kitchen + Bar are proud to be serving Ellsworth and look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed 9 July 2018

We are Los Angeles “foodies” and have eaten at a lot of top notch restaurants here and elsewhere.The new Provender Kitchen can compete with or surpass the best of them ! The food is fantastic, the service is attentive and super friendly and the decor is charming. If it were in L.A. it would be my favorite place. We ate there with guests 3 times in one week and every morsel was beautifully presented and sublime. The beet salad is very good. My favorite entree was the pork with potato salad. Sounds simple. Wasn’t. Try any cocktail which contains a fruit shrub. Scrumptious ! My choice for dessert is the coconut cornbread. Really yummy.
They are going to start serving lunch very soon. I would definitely recommend that if you plan to be in the area you make reservations ahead of time because it’s going to be hard to get into.

bhchef27, Owner at Provender Kitchen And Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Dear Frequentdiner,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review, We are so happy you enjoyed your visits with us, we truly appreciate your business. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the pork dish, did you know that we use a local pig farmer that is literally 30 minutes away for that dish?
We hope your next visit is right around the corner. Again thank you for taking the time.

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

If you're a fan of original, creative, fresh and delish food than this place is a MUST. Ellsworth is not a culinary capital but the food at Provender will make it worth the trip. You cannot go wrong with anything. Begin with a creative "shrub" cocktail or Alagash White ON TAP (!) then continue to Bar Harbor Blondes (oysters) on the half and the Duck! Cooked to perfection with a parsnip puree worthy of Keller. What I liked most about the place?- other than friendly staff, aware owners, and locally sourced food? Was the thoughtfulness of the menu. Every ingredient a considered and wise choice. Subtle twists on classics that weren't obvious. Pickled Rainier cherries!, watermelon granita instead of mignionette, and I could go on...look at the menu...you won't be disappointed. Run don't walk!

Dear WongSuzi,

Wow! Thank you for the great review, We work hard to make sure we live up to expectations and we are glad we hit the mark with your visit. The duck is one of our favorite menu items to cook i'm happy you enjoyed it as well, I think TK would like it too! Just to let you in a couple secrets, we have two new menu items coming out this week and we are starting lunch as well ! We hope to see you soon and thank you for taking the time.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

More restaurants like this please! It is definitely a great option to combine with a typical lobster. We tried 6 different starters and all of them were delicious. Don´t forget to ask for a piece of homemade bread, specially if you order the mussels.

Dear OmarA,

Thank you for a great 5 star review! we are thrilled you enjoyed all your first course offerings. Next time your in may I suggest you try the duck?! I think you will really enjoy some of the entrees as well. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We happened upon Provender escaping a busy Bar Harbor Fourth of July week and we were blown away. Six people: two children, one vegetarian adult, one adult with an unusual food allergy - no problem. Everything was perfect. The service was impeccable. Interesting cocktails - a black (really) tangerine martini was delicious. The person with the allium allergy had a fish dish with lentils, cherries and roasted carrots that was incredible. Our organic food vegetarian rhapsodized about her puréed carrot, parsnip sauce. The five-year old said she was moving to Ellsworth so she could have their clam chowder every day forever. Me too!

Dear Darcyclinton,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We really appreciate your business. We will always do our best to accommodate any food allergy and we are glad we were able to do that for you. We look forward to seeing you again and don't worry we will have the chowder ready! Again thank you for taking the time.

Reviewed 4 July 2018

My wife and I decided to give Provender a try. We had heard from a bunch of people that it was "really good". I made a last minute reservation for a Saturday night at the edge of the busy summer season here in Maine. Chef Daron got back to quickly and said we we all set. I also let him know it was our 16th Anniversary dinner. We arrived and were sat quickly. I noticed a not card on our table. It was a very personal and heart felt thank you note form the staff for sharing our special day with them at their establishment. It was a very nice touch. They have very nice bar menu consisting of local craft beers as well as amazing craft drinks made with fresh juices and homemade bar mixes. I had the "shotgun honey moon", a rum cocktail mixed with tangerine juice, pineapple juice and coconut milk. We started with a half dozen local oysters with a melon ice and a hibiscus ponzu, every detail covered, right down to the 1/8th ounce personal Tabasco bottle. Crisp, clean, and briny with a subtle sweetness from the melon ice and hibiscus ponzu. Next we had the Braised pork belly with sour orange sauce and they also have a "for the table" menu, consisting of item you may find on a typical bar menu, only better. Item like Tallow fries french fries and Vidalia Onion rings, both with house made sauces. We ordered the fries. I used my fries to squeegee the pork belly plate clean. Nothing id over seasoned and covered up, all the flavors stand on their own very well, and go together even better. For our entrees my wife order the seared monk fish over a fresh corn risotto and I order the Rib-eye cap with truffle fries and roasted bone marrow. Again the fish was simply seasoned, no need to cover up the amazing flavors that are there, the fresh corn risotto was an eye opener, the sweetness of the corn really compliments the richness of the cheese and rice. The steak was cooked to a perfect med/rare with delicious fries tossed in garlic and truffle oil, and the roasted bone marrow just gilded the lily. All in all it was an amazing experience in dining in little ole Ellsworth, Maine. If your headed to Bar Harbor or other points downeast, take a right on to Main street and give Provender Kitchen and bar a try. You won't be disappointed. I'm not sure what the process is for nominating a chef/restaurant for a James Beard Award, but I'll be looking into it. Chef Daron seemingly pours his heart and love into every dish. Our special day truly was.

1  Thank Russ F