“Great for the meat eater”
Review of The Rat Inn

The Rat Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Anick
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 March 2018

I loved this place and the food I and my partner had was excellent, the chips were beautiful as was the bread for the Sarnie's. I would have liked a little more ham in mine but the veggie said her's was fabulous.
I liked the look of the menu but thought it a little scarce for vegetarian's amongst us.
A really nice place with great staff who know what they are doing.
It was a real pleasure to eat here and we will be back again to enjoy your hospitality which is definitely worth the extra 2 miles from Hexham.

1  Thank PrimalSteve

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Ok - this is certainly a destination trip but so glad we made the effort. Called in without a reservation and this was not a problem. A warm welcome and great food & service. Clearly a lot of effort goes into everything they are doing and we will happily recommend to friends and family. Well done!

1  Thank AVoiceofExperience
Reviewed 17 March 2018

We'd heard about this place on a list of "best gastro pubs" but whilst very good, that's its limit.

The staff are very welcoming and that is clearly their style, given how they were dealing with everyone. I was surprised by the menu though as it had very little choice for vegetarians. There is a very clear meat bias here, as demonstrated by their signs about the yearly totals of rib sales that are up on a beam. That's fine, and I'm not a vegetarian, but it's something to be aware of.

That aside, there is a nice range of non veggie dishes and that's supported by a good ale choice, and a great wine list, including many by the glass.

Service was great and the dining side of things very nice.

I do have to note how cold it was - yes, it was very cold outside and windy, and of course people did occasionally use the door to let it all in. But aside from an open fire there was no effort to try and battle the cold. A few tables saw people eating huddled in their coats. A large second fireplace sat at one end of the room unlit so one more table could be fitted in. I appreciate it's an old building, but I've been in plenty of warm ones.

It's worth a visit, prices fine for the high standard of food. But I wouldn't go again if it was chilly, and I'd probably leave any vegetarians at home based on the menu I saw.

1  Thank HHH666Y
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Visited today for a quick bite to eat, had steak sandwich and onions and halurmmi and aubergine and chips! Great service and lovely tasty food.

Lovely venue and setting, was nice and toasty by the open fire.

Young guy serving warm and friendly.

Amazing setting, would be lovely in spring and summer and to have a full meal from the menu!

Reviewed 10 March 2018

Plus points – Moderately good food, pleasing location, Tyne valley views from the large garden, selection of Real Ales (only one sampled), Good ‘Seasonal Menu’ with additional ‘specials’ board. From the ‘Seasonal Menu’. Starters from £4.50 (oysters £2.20 each) Mains from £11.95. Dearest main £26.95 for fillet steak.

Minus points – Shabby rather than shabby chic. could do with a make-over without spoiling the old building charm. Pricey food served on barely warm plates, squeaky doors, broken door handles and closers (allowing unwelcome cold draughts), outdated gents toilets across the outside rear path, large number of old/out-of-date ‘Good Food/Drink’ awards look bad.

Overall, a bit disappointing. Words like ‘past - laurels - living on’ come to mind.

Publandlady, Owner at The Rat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Dear peterlecky,
Just keeping this brief to point out something misleading form your review.

1. If you look closely we have all the current 2018 awards,including GFG,Hardens,Michelin.I havent taken down the previous years awards as i think its quite important to show that we've been consistently in these guides for 10 years.

It appears you visited on the coldest week for some time-certainly this year,obviously being a public building when the door opens there willl be an icy blast.Ths is important to allow the passage and exit through the door of custom.

PS We have no plans to give the building a modern makeover,as with all buildings of this age maintenance is constant and costly,in fact we had the bar area repainted 2 weeks ago.We also love our outside gents netty.
All the best.