“Enlightening Evergreen”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$150.00*
and up
Full-Day Oak Alley and Evergreen Plantations from...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Edgard
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This was my second plantation tour of the day and each one provided a little more insight into this sobering chapter of our country's history. Evergreen was unique in that it has been used as a setting for multiple Hollywood movies, has an extensive collection of original slave cabins (most in USA?), and an oak lined drive established in 1790 that nearly rivals the one at Oak Alley.

The docents Desiree and Robin divided our large group into two and then we headed off in different directions. The main house does not take long to visit since it is only one room deep and the house is periodically occupied by the current owner, so it is not a pure "house museum" per se. The out buildings are well preserved and the boxwood gardens are quite extensive. Everyone seemed to enjoy the friendly plantation cat and his unique brand of Southern hospitality (see picture).

Note that Evergreen only runs two tours a day (11:15 AM and 2:00 PM), so you have to plan your time accordingly. I believe that with a little better time management, though, they could add a third tour since a lot of the discussion seemed extemporaneous and could be a little tighter.

All reviews
"greek revival"
in 7 reviews
"original slave"
in 3 reviews
"national register of historic places"
in 5 reviews
"spanish moss"
in 6 reviews
"take pictures"

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I have been on a number of Plantation tours in Louisiana and I have to say this is by far the best tour I've ever been on. Our tour guides were fabulous. They gave ask a walking tour of the Plantation and gave us so much history about plantations and slaves as well. I highly recommend you take this tour in. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank trn81
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

This plantation only runs tours twice a day and without the tour you cannot get on the grounds. I would recommend calling ahead to reserve spots. We were luckily and were about to go without reservations but it was also a Monday. Anyway, once you get signed in, in the front office you wait until the group is assembled and then follow the tour guide in your vehicle onto the property. And let me tell you, it's worth it

Instead of just learning the history of the house, the main family, and the slaves, you will actually hear about the settlement of the area (which had more to do with German farmers and starving French). We were given info we hadn't received at any other plantation tour and it was really interesting.

The grounds themselves are gorgeous. The house has been lovingly updated and furnished, but you can still really get a feel of the original house and architecture. The grounds themselves are stunning! So many original buildings, including the slave cabins which is very rare. Even the original fencing is intact (there are some movie props on the grounds like the cemetery so don't be fooled). Anyway after you tour the house the guide leads you out to the cabins and tells you about the the people who lived and worked there, including personal details.

We had two small kids with us and it was easy for all of us to get around and enjoy the tour. Our guide was amazing and happy to answer any questions we had. The tour was fabulous and I recommend it to anyone!

2  Thank Jess R
Reviewed 26 March 2018

From time of our arrival, we were greeted with hospitality. Our guide was so interesting and knowledgeable to the plantation and times. Out of all the tour guides on our trip, she was by far the most interesting. Highly recommend and would go there again. My teenage granddaughter was so impressed with our guide.

2  Thank naomik491