Review Highlights
Very Interesting

Full of interesting history and even a few spirits roaming the jail. A few of us could smell the... read more

Reviewed 30 January 2020
Kim A
Buna, Texas
via mobile
scarey

Reviewed 22 November 2019
Johnnyboy148

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 November 2019

i was hoping i would see some ghost. But sadly i didnt all in all it was still a adventure. I would not enjoy multiple vists nthough

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 28 December 2018 via mobile

Really spooky tour in pitch black darkness with only flashlights & cell phones to use as light sources. The history of the jail & its occupants are great! It’s a piece of living history. I recommend you take a tour, it’s good times.

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank blmenard82
Reviewed 24 March 2018

DeRidder's Hanging Jail, built in 1914 in the Gothic Revival style, is like a time capsule-- restored, preserved, and filled with original artifacts including the metal lattice bunks that rarely had mattresses, and the family quarters for the jailer.
With daytime and after dark tours, it's a great place for history buffs, folks interested in the area and photographers, as well as those interested in the paranormal. At certain times of the year, they do lantern tours and explain the paranormal activities that some have witnessed there.
We are a small group of photographers and made contact in advance to set up our visit. The folks in charge were most helpful-- giving us as much time as we needed to photograph what we wanted, and suggesting some other local landmarks to check out.
It's a wonderful historical site, and I highly recommend checking it out.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

We went as a group on the lantern tour. We loved it! So much history and the tour guides have lots of stories. After the tour they let everyone walk around and take pictures. Supposed to be haunted. We had a great time!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 29 January 2018

I've heard about this place for years so we decided to take a road trip and check it out. We took to the tour and I was surprisingly impressed. This old jail is like stepping back into history. The tour guide was friendly and informative . My teenaged son loved it. I definitely recommend this place

Date of experience: December 2017