All reviews churchill downs the holiday inn stayed here expo center wallpaper coming ihg property front desk football game hear planes flight path room was clean shuttle service indoor pool an early flight small bathroom breakfast buffet housekeeping staff
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

I typically never write a review unless it is a positive one. However, this hotel is disgusting. IHG should be embarrassed that they would allow this filthy hotel carry their Holiday Inn Express Brand Name. The food for breakfast is stale and gross! The carpet, curtains, lamp shades and comforters are stained. I have never experienced something like this before. I strongly recommend you choose somewhere else to stay. Filthy! Filthy! Dirty! I honestly have not one positive word to say about our stay here. I would never come back and it honestly makes me weary about staying at another Holiday Inn Express in the future. Hampton Inn here I come!

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2017

Dear JJM2003,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am deeply sorry you were satisfied with the quality of breakfast items we serve and also the cleanliness of our hotel fell short of your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For this reason, we find your comments troubling. Nevertheless, I've noted down your comments and passed them over to our internal teams so they can check the areas that may need further/more attention. I have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details.

Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 27 November 2017

We had driven to Louisville to spend Thanksgiving with our daughter who attends school there. The dinner invitation had been extended to us by her fiance's family. Normally, this would be a day trip, with us returning that evening as we live just ninety minutes away. My wife, however, elected to make it an overnight and researched several nearby hotels prior to deciding on the Holiday Inn. Her primary reason was to allow the kids to spend some time swimming in the indoor poor.

Not having any plans the following day, and grateful to not have to drive back late, I agreed and we booked the hotel.

We spent the afternoon with my daughter and her fiance's family prior to retiring to the hotel and arrived after 7 that evening. Check-in was brief and we were soon on way to our room. I appreciated the elevators being in the main lobby and didn't require you to walk down along the first floor as so many hotels seem to do.

After arriving, my wife needed to return to the front desk to have the cards rescanned as she had put them in her phone case (magnetic snap) which "erased" them. Not the first time that's happened, but the first time before we even entered our room. I have found these newer cards to be more sensitive, as the small magnet in my wallet will wipe them as well.

The room was tidy upon entering but there were multiple carpet (coffee?) stains scattered throughout the room. I examined them and there was no odor coming from them and they were dry to the touch. It was evident the carpet had been cleaned, but whatever had been spilt was now part of the decor. Aside from the stains, the remainder of the room, along with the bathroom was clean and well kept. My wife and I carry a travel size deodorizer ( for typical hotel musty smells) but it was not required as the room smelled fresh.

We then examined the two full size beds and found no issues with dirty or unsanitary sheets and covers. While the pillows would not have been my first choice, I found the beds comfortable. Aside from the spotty carpet, and a small, poorly patched hole near the baseboard in the bathroom, we found the room acceptable and elected to stay.

While my wife began her evening preparations, I worked getting the temperature to a more comfortable sleeping level. The room had a typical wall unit, usually controlled at the unit, this one had been updated to a wall thermostat. Of course, I realized that after attempting to adjust it at the register before seeing the sign.

There was a vending area on our level, although it included just an ice and soda machine. The flat screen television was on the smaller side compared to those we've had in recent hotel stays. But the picture was clear and there was a nice selection of channels to choose from.

The indoor pool was on the smaller side for a hotel this size. Fortunately, we had it to ourselves for the majority of the time we swimming. It was also heated to a very comfortable temperature.

The bathroom towels provided were high quality and appeared new. The shower had plenty of pressure and I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet the toilet flushed. My wife brings her own hair dryer, so I checked out the hotel supplied dryer and found it fully operation.

The hotel is nestled behind and between several other hotels which required some driving attention so as not to miss the turn into their lot. The parking seemed somewhat sparse, but there was an adjacent overflow lot behind the main area.

Pet’s are not permitted with the exception of service animals. Still, I would call and inquire prior to booking a room with a service animal.

This is no continental breakfast, but you can purchase a package deal that includes breakfast. However, there are several restaurants located within walking distance which we choose for dining.

The hotel is completely smoke free.

While it is located near the airport, we were not located under the flight path and flight noise was not an issue. The Hotel is also located within walking (.6 mile) distance of the Kentucky Exposition Center, the University of Louisville’s Football stadium and Kentucky Kingdom.

While the carpet stains were distracting, we had a pleasants night stay and would not hesitate to stay again.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank kentuckylongrifle
HolidayInnSDF, General Manager at Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thank you so much for choosing to spend part of your holiday with us and providing such a well written review about our hotel. We are pleased to hear that our hotel met your needs during your stay with us. I am happy to say that, thanks to feedback like yours, we are currently replacing all of the carpet in the hotel to make the guest experience even better. We would love to see you again if your next visit to your daughter requires overnight accommodations.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Our room was spacious with two very comfortable queen beds. The bathroom was clean and stocked with the amenities we need. The staff from the front desk, the server in the restaurant, the housekeeping staff were very nice and professional. All these made our stay very enjoyable.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such kind words about your stay with us! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Louisville.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Rested very well at this Holiday Inn after a long drive through the rain. Great stopover for a road trip. Clean room. I did not like the location of the hotel - it's behind other hotels at the end of the road but still close to Churchill Downs and the University of Louisville. Quick check-in and check-out.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us a four star review about your stay with us. We are glad your were able to get a good night's rest during your stay. Please come back and see us the next time you're in Louisville.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

... road trip with stays at 6 others. This seems to be a fairly new example of the breed. Even the hydraulic elevators are improved (quicker). My room was spacious and located as requested. Everything for breakfast was out and available by the 6 AM start time, something I don't see consistently elsewhere. The staff was quite pleasant.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you so much for providing feedback about your stay and the very kind words. We are so happy that our 6AM breakfast was convenient foe your needs during your visit. Please come see us again the next time you're in town!