“A well maintained historical site that is a quiet jewel”

Dr. Thomas Walker State Historic Site
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the first white explorer to travel through the Cumberland Gap.
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

This is a nice place to stop and picnic. It is well-kept and worth the time to stop. Stopped here on Labor Day and there was NO crowd. Good place to relax and enjoy the beautiful bliss of nature

1  Thank OTravelingTraveler
in 3 reviews
"park"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 20 June 2012

This was by far the cleanest, nicest state park that Ihave ever visited. The grounds were manicured like a golf course and the staff was accomodating and very friendly. The park manager introduced himself to us and he was so knowledgeable and extremely friendly. This is a great place to take the family for the day and just chill, grill and relax. AWESOME PARK!!!!!

4  Thank KentuckyMulligan
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I love the putt putt, the baseball field Basketball goals. It brings out the kid in me.

3  Thank debbie_kj
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My family and I visited Dr. Thomas Walker State Park a couple of weeks ago and we had an awesome experience that will never be forgotten. This park was so well maintained, by far better than any other park we have visited. I personally met the park manager, Andy Teasley, and I told him that this park was beautiful. He thanked me for nice comment and after we talked for a few minutes, he informed me that he was an ex golf course superintendent and he believed in taking care of the grounds. We spent several hours there and we grilled out and the kids played all afternoon. We also saw 11 turkeys and 3 deer during our visit. This park is worth visiting and it is beautiful :)

4  Thank smitty_1971404
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 October 2007

If you are looking for a sound day use facility (picnic, recreational fields, etc.) in a historically significant area, you can go to a number of places. You and I both know it’s not the location/amenities of a family/friends gathering that make it special, it’s the time you spend with those folks earning bragging rights at the horse shoe pit while unveiling that new dish that is the envy of the event that creates the memories. For some enchanting reason, the vintage park sign brought me back to a time when things were a lot simpler. If you need to do the same but just can’t budget the time away from work, I recommend Thomas Walker State Park. Hey, at least the sign is real. The cabin is a replica…. The park also has a mini golf course that will start many rivalries and bragging rights. By the way, Thomas Walker was an early explorer of the region preceeding Daniel Boone.

4  Thank jake_brake2007