“Won’t be returning”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Higham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We focus on quality ingredients, making the most of our handmade produce and locally sourced meat from our farm shop next door. Our menu enjoys hearty farmhouse dishes and modern classics. Dine indoors in the rustic restaurant, upstairs in the relaxed 'hayloft' or soak up the sunshine on the terrace. Private hire available for meetings, parties and events. Located in Higham, on Barrowford Road, Roaming Roosters is a great choice for dining with friends and family, holding a meeting with colleagues, or a quick coffee and cake.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My daughter and I visited for breakfast.
We specifically asked for our sausages to be well done and ordered the full English breakfast.
Breakfast arrived within 5 minutes.
Bacon swimming in oil, frozen hash browns and pink sausages!!
Waitress came within a couple of minutes to ask “how is your breakfast?”
I said the sausages are pink, we asked for well done, to which she replied “sorry I’ll tell chef”!! No offer to cook them further and she didn’t hang around to hear anything else.
We both left over half of our breakfast. We ate the eggs and beans and toast. Couldn’t eat bacon, sausage, hash browns and mushrooms (no flavour).

Went to pay the bill, the waitress made no comment about our previous conversation and presented me with the bill, almost £20.
I said I didn’t really want to pay full price as the breakfast wasn’t up to standard. She went to speak to the manager, who didn’t have the grace to come out him/herself!
She said she could offer 20% off the bill.
I paid the bill and left.
Won’t return.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited the Roosters last week (good friday) and the despite not having a booking were given a table quickly. We came with our 3 children and were all made to feel very welcome - colouring sheets etc.. brought out for the kids to keep busy. Food was excellent, I had the steak sandwich which was bang on - steak melted in mouth, hubby had the sausages and mash (which was enormous!) and the kids meals were great too. All the meat from the farm shop attached and you could really taste the quality. Well done and best of luck for the future to the new owners, you're on to a winner if you keep going this way ! We'll be back !!!

1  Thank jonibongo
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Whilst it was ok 8t was certainly not up to its previous night quality.

My steak pie looked like a chip ship bought one and although taste was fine first impressions looked a check version rather than a home cooked pie. My wife ordered burger which was advertised as coming with chops and coleslaw.

It arrived and looked good but no coleslaw. When I asked the waiter he went away to come back to say they had run out. No offer of something else or a slight reduction in the bill.

Was ok but won't be returning a
In a hurry.

Andy J, Owner at Roaming Roosters Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to let you know that all our pies are handmade on site using homemade pastry and meat from the farm shop. I'll also speak to the kitchen about the other issues you raised as these shouldn't be happening.

We're only 4 weeks in and are working hard to eliminate these types of problems and get a team in place to deliver a consistent service so apologies you don't feel it was up to scratch when you visited.

Andy J

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We used to come here for a nice breakfast and friendly welcoming service. Unfortunately the 'Big Breakfast' breakfast is a shadow of its former self in quality and quantity. The quantity I don't mind so much because the Big Breakfast used to be just a bit too big but the quality too is much poorer for the same price. Honestly, barely better than Wetherspoons. The menu options are drastically smaller as well which left my partner struggling to find something to choose.

The biggest change seemed to be the ambience though. Don't know if it's different on a weekday (Good Friday) to our usual weekend but it seemed like a different place; less friendly service and less welcoming.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went as a family with young children for Sunday brunch and had a delicious breakfast. The bistro is very child friendly and the staff welcoming and cheerful. We shall certainly return to sample the rest of the menu. We wish the new owners much success for the future.

1  Thank Lesley l